replace engine or trade in ?

mcarnp

Forum Newbie
Threads
i have a 2002 44 inch cut broadmoor with 16 horse b&s engine. has 380 hours on machine. Using oil and getting worse. drivetrain seems to be ok. have serviced as recommended. replace engine or trade machine? thankx for any input.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
i have a 2002 44 inch cut broadmoor with 16 horse b&s engine. has 380 hours on machine. Using oil and getting worse. drivetrain seems to be ok. have serviced as recommended. replace engine or trade machine? thankx for any input.

My frist question is who will be doing the repairs? You are looking at a 9 year old mower. If you can do your own repairs I would say fix it. Like said yesterday it might need rings. This is something it will have to be taken apart to find what it needs. Now if you have to take it to a shop you will be looking at 65 dollars and hour (rates where live). Your own repairs keep, repairs at a shop replace mower. Looks like you already can sell the old mower to johnandrew and this will be a good start for your new one.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads

My frist question is who will be doing the repairs? You are looking at a 9 year old mower. If you can do your own repairs I would say fix it. Like said yesterday it might need rings. This is something it will have to be taken apart to find what it needs. Now if you have to take it to a shop you will be looking at 65 dollars and hour (rates where I live). Your own repairs keep, repairs at a shop replace mower. Looks like you already can sell the old mower to johnandrew and this will be a good start for your new one.

benski

Threads
If it was mine, I'd see if I could get a used Briggs or Kohler and put it in. If you get another season or two out of it for $225.00 that's not bad.:wink:

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
I'd replace the engine. You could get a used B&S for quite cheap in good running condition that would last you years if well maintained.

robert

Threads
We got almost exactly the same number of hours from our BS / Simplicity, is yours perhaps the Vanguard also?

Putting another BS in I think would be nuts, crazy if you pay a dealer to do it. Any good engine (BS does not fall into this category) is going to set you back at least a third the cost of a new mower and you still have the original sealed? drive to consider.

I say go for a good used machine or a new Cub GT2000-probably the Cub.