Lawnboy model 8270 self propelled, adjustment for drive wheels and rear wheel

Gimbal

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Lawnboy model 8270 self propelled, adjustment for drive wheels and rear wheel
Is there a way to adjust the rear drive wheel on a lawnboy model 8270A self propelled mower? Or do I have to purchase new rear wheels and steel drive wheel? The Steel drive wheels still have some grooves on them but I am not sure if they need replacing. Is there a way to measure them to know when they are wore out.

Fireman 123

Threads
  • / Lawnboy model 8270 self propelled, adjustment for drive wheels and rear wheel
There is an adjusting rod that attaches the self propel control handle to the mechanism that brings the steel drive rollers onto the rear wheels. Your rear wheels may need replacing due to normal wear. The grooves on the steel drive rollers can wear too. If they look and feel worn, replace them. I've got a '74 8232 with the same drive system, and I've wondered if replacing the factory smooth tread tires with ones that have tread would improve it, but I don't want to mess with the original look of the mower. Good luck.

Gimbal

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the metal rod beside the handle as tight as it will go. Does anyone have a schematic for the self propelled mechanism and wheel assembly? I think I will need to purchase some new wheel but I am not sure what size I should purchase.if anyone know of some good links to lawnboy parts and schematics please let me know It would be greatly appreciated.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have the metal rod beside the handle as tight as it will go. Does anyone have a schematic for the self propelled mechanism and wheel assembly? I think I will need to purchase some new wheel but I am not sure what size I should purchase.if anyone know of some good links to lawnboy parts and schematics please let me know It would be greatly appreciated.

Try this link to PartsTree. Note that you need the serial number from the mower.

Fireman 123

Threads
You can also look up drawings and parts list on lawnboy.com. I find the parts I need then do a search on eBay. Sometimes you get better deals on the parts and shipping costs.

impalass

Threads
When you are doing the adjustment lift the mower up so that the two wheels are of the ground and the control rod is loose.

Place mower in 蠕ケUT-OF-DRIVE position,
Adjustment is performed by placing lower
end of control rod into groove of clutch control
lever assembly. Pull up clutch control
lever and down on control rod as far as
possible and tighten clamp screw securely.
This procedure should provide the required
3/16 inch spacing. However, if it cannot be
attained, remove right rear wheel and
loosen shoulder bolt and adjust axle accordingly.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...sg=AFQjCNHV3Y86599WWczTcKZveRML-iqiug&cad=rja

impalass

Threads
Is there a way to adjust the rear drive wheel on a lawnboy model 8270A self propelled mower? Or do I have to purchase new rear wheels and steel drive wheel? The Steel drive wheels still have some grooves on them but I am not sure if they need replacing. Is there a way to measure them to know when they are wore out.

Place mower in "OUT-OF-DRIVE" position,
Adjustment is performed by placing lower
end of control rod into groove of clutch control
lever assembly. Pull up clutch control
lever and down on control rod as far as
possible and tighten clamp screw securely.
This procedure should provide the required
3/16 inch spacing. However, if it cannot be
attained, remove right rear wheel and
loosen shoulder bolt and adjust axle accordingly