Seafoamed my carb today - WOW!

TerryD

Threads
I bought a 1999 LT155 last weekend and have been slowly going through it as time permits. I have no idea how many hours are on the Kohler motor, but everything appears to have been well taken care of. So far I've aired down the tires from 16 psi to something more acceptable around 7 or 8 psi. Greased the deck spindles 3 times (I thought I heard a slight squeal down there) and it has quieted down considerable.

Today I took the air cleaner off and started it as normal with just a bit of choke. I let the engine warm up for about 5 minutes and then started pouring Seafoam in at about a tablespoon or so at a time while the throttle was at 1/2 throttle. The engine would start to sputter so I would stop while it caught up. Each time there was a decent puff of smokey vapor from the exhaust. I did this probably 6 times or so. When I did it the last time I shut the engine off while it was still sputtering. I left it alone for about 45 minutes or so and went back out to fire it up. There was plenty of smoke from the exhaust for about 5 minutes or so while I ran it wide open. When the smoke had pretty much cleared up I shut it off. This evening I dumped about 3 oz in the gas tank and went out to mow. The power is much smoother and I can now start it without the choke. I am pleased at the results.

I've used Seafoam in the fuel on my boat, motorcycle, and cars with never a problem. So I thought I would try it in a small engine. I didn't see a thread on Seafoam so thought I'd share. I've also heard good things from Marvel Mystery Oil, but have never tried it.

noma

Threads
TerryD

Glad to heard you had good results with seafoam, that is some good stuff i put it in my small engines to. I have never tried to pour a little right down the carb while it was running , i got a engine i will have to try that on being it work so good for you.::smile:

TerryD

Threads
A word of caution.

The exhaust must have been blowing back on me at least some of the time because after about 45 minutes of mowing I noticed my eyes were burning a bit. Nothing serious, and I didn't smell anything, but I did notice it a bit. It's possible that the Seafoam has a chemical makeup that made my eyes water and burn slightly for a while. They have since cleared up, but if you are sensive to eye irritants here is your warning. 4 hours later, I'm fine.

I believe the Seafoam will help your problem so long as you don't have a mechanical issue.

Good luck to you.

Chev

Threads
I have had good results with SeaFoam in the past.

I have never poured it directly into the throat of a carb, but I have drained all of the gas and filled the carb with SeaFoam and let that sit for a few hours. I follow up with running the engine (very roughly) and fill the tank with fresh gas.

cubby

Threads
I bought a 1999 LT155 last weekend and have been slowly going through it as time permits. I have no idea how many hours are on the Kohler motor, but everything appears to have been well taken care of. So far I've aired down the tires from 16 psi to something more acceptable around 7 or 8 psi. Greased the deck spindles 3 times (I thought I heard a slight squeal down there) and it has quieted down considerable.

Today I took the air cleaner off and started it as normal with just a bit of choke. I let the engine warm up for about 5 minutes and then started pouring Seafoam in at about a tablespoon or so at a time while the throttle was at 1/2 throttle. The engine would start to sputter so I would stop while it caught up. Each time there was a decent puff of smokey vapor from the exhaust. I did this probably 6 times or so. When I did it the last time I shut the engine off while it was still sputtering. I left it alone for about 45 minutes or so and went back out to fire it up. There was plenty of smoke from the exhaust for about 5 minutes or so while I ran it wide open. When the smoke had pretty much cleared up I shut it off. This evening I dumped about 3 oz in the gas tank and went out to mow. The power is much smoother and I can now start it without the choke. I am pleased at the results.

I've used Seafoam in the fuel on my boat, motorcycle, and cars with never a problem. So I thought I would try it in a small engine. I didn't see a thread on Seafoam so thought I'd share. I've also heard good things from Marvel Mystery Oil, but have never tried it.
This reminds me when I worked at a Cadillac dealer in the late 70's , we used a product called Top
Engine Cleaner which you poured into the carb at part throttle. When 3/4 was used up you poured the
rest in fast to stall the engine. After 20 mins or so you started it back up and all that carbon that was built up on top of the pistons and the the intake and exhaust valves would be desolved and blown out
the exhaust. You had to do this out doors because of the heavy smoke it would create until it all
cleared up. It worked really good. I just wonder if this is still available and would work in our mower
engines. The last engine I had apart was carboned up pretty good. I've been hearing a lot of good
things about the Seafoam product. Also been using Marvel Mystery Oil products for years very good
too.....cubby

CJRussell

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have never tried seafoam on a small engine. I appreciate you passing on this info am sure I will use it in the future on an engine project.

Jim104

Threads
Use non-ethnol gas and you will get better response from your small engines. Ethnol seperates from the gas and settles at the bottom of the tank if it sets for a few days. Small eninges don't want to start when that happens. This is also true if you have old cars not driven often.

TerryD

Threads
The LT155 had to go back to the dealer. There were some problems that we couldn't come to an agreement on, so he is keeping it.

On an upnote though, I found a '78 Kohler 316 in good running condition. I thought it needed a carb rebuild as rough as it sounded, but I put 2 oz of Seafoam per gal in Premium gas and after a couple tankfuls, it is purring like a kitten. Didn't even need to adjust the carb.

benski

Threads
The LT155 had to go back to the dealer. There were some problems that we couldn't come to an agreement on, so he is keeping it.

On an upnote though, I found a '78 Kohler 316 in good running condition. I thought it needed a carb rebuild as rough as it sounded, but I put 2 oz of Seafoam per gal in Premium gas and after a couple tankfuls, it is purring like a kitten. Didn't even need to adjust the carb.

It certainly won't cure all the ailments that befall our equipment, but if I can get some piece of junk running long enough to ingest some Seafoam, I'll do it. It is a lot easier on equipment that ether, and does better things, IMHO.:biggrin: