Murray Select 2004 fuel solenoid info

LT1045wrh

Threads
Hi Fellow Mowers,
RE: Murray Select, 42", 2004, BS 17.5hp, manual trans.
My new problem is when I try mowing for more than a few minutes, the mower dies. I cleaned the line, new filter, gas, and gas line. It seems as though the fuel solenoid is not remaining open because the fuel just stops flowing after the engine gets hot. Any ideas would be appreciated. Looked on YouTube and found a few ways to check the fuel solenoid, so I guess I'll do that, but sure would appreciate any incite you may have to the problem.
Spent 4 hours mowing with a reliable push mower the other day, so I'd like to get the Murray chopping again.
Thank you and mow on and on and on...,
Wendy:cool:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have seen the plastic tip come off and cause the engine to die. If the solenoid is breaking down the best way I have found to test them is run it till it dies and then turn the key off and then on and listen for it to click. don't wait more than a few seconds to do this or it may start working again. If no click replace the solenoid. If the plastic tip is coming off when the engine dies immediately try starting the engine without turning off the key. If no start then turn off the key and back on and see if it restarts then most likely the tip is coming off and can be epoxied in place.

LT1045wrh

Threads
What plastic tip am I looking for? I don't see anything plastic, other than the cover of the connection wire. Is this plastic tip inside the fuel solenoid, inside the carburetor bowl?
Thanks,
W

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
its on the tip of the solenoid plunger inside the carb bowl.

LT1045wrh

Threads
Okay, so I found that the tip was so loose that I'm sure it was sticking. I took the tip off, pushed the plunger down and disconnected the fuel solenoid. Thinking this would solve the problem. I mowed for one hour then it died, just like before. There seems to be a vapor lock developing where the gas from the tank is not being sucked into the carb after one hour of mowing. I replaced all of the fuel line, new fuel filter, clean tank and now I'm stumped. Took the bowl off the carb, made sure everything was clean and in place, and it is.
I think something is getting hot and shutting everything down. Anyone else ever have this problem?
I have a BS 17.5 hp motor, Model 31C707 Type 0175EI Code 040722ZD. Any help would be appreciated.
I guess I could just mow one hour a day, at least then I wouldn't get sun burnt. :laughing:
Thank you,
Wendy:cool:

LT1045wrh

Threads
Me again, went out and bought a molded bowl gasket and installed it. Put the carb back together with new o-rings and all. Mowed about an hour then it konked out again. Was low on gas, so I added gas, but it ran rough, so I moved the throttle back and forth to find a spot where it would run fast enough to mow, found a good speed and finished the mowing job, but I know something is wrong. I drained the gas and left the mower for the weekend. Enough is enough. I need to figure this out. Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks,
W

webuyanymower.com

Threads
Check the vent in the fuel cap
When it stops running is the fuel filter empty

Dangeroustoys56

Threads
I have a 94 murray with a 14.5HP OHV briggs and a 2003 murray with a 16.5HP OHV briggs - both motors had the same issue, the antifire solenoid. Would chug and run rough, then 'diesel' when shutting the tractor down.

I ended up finding out i could either disable the solenoid or replace it - i disabled mine simply by snipping the plunger off with a pair of side cutters and unhooking the wire. I installed a aftermarket fuel shutoff valve .

The purpose is to stop fuel from flowing into the carb when shutting it down - when power activates the solenoid, it retracts , when key is shut off it extends and shuts off the fuel flow to the motor.

I simply shut the manual valve off and let the tractor use up the fuel left in the carb and die on its own.

LT1045wrh

Threads
Guess it was a vapor lock. Thank you for all of your help and suggestions. After replacing the gas cap with another old one that I had sitting around, I was able to mow until I got the job done, two tanks of gas and about 4 hours later.
No problems made themselves known, so for now, I think all I need is a shut off valve that doesn't leak. I purchased one of those plastic red and black ones, but it leaks, so I just run most of the gas out, then drain the rest. Already clipped the solenoid tip and disconnected. Also, I've been running the Murray for years with a shut off valve in the gas line that I just barely leave open. I get really good gas mileage and can mow wide open for hours. This method only works on my lawn tractors, my zero turn would not give me the same results, so I removed the shut off valve from that mower.
Happy mowing!
Wendy