Best zero degree mower for 3000 or less

Jstephensonjths

Forum Newbie
Threads
What are the best zero degree mowers out there? And are some better for bumpy land than others?

Chev

Threads
I was just in the same boat. I had $3000 to spend and wanted the best I could get.

The answer is a used commercial zero turn. I got a Cub Cadet M48 Tank for just under 3K and am tickled pink.

Now is the time to look because of the time of year.

Jstephensonjths

Forum Newbie
Threads
Great thanks! I hope there are some good end of the season prices. A zero degree would be ideal.

Black Bart

Threads
What are the best zero degree mowers out there? And are some better for bumpy land than others?
I don't think you will find a new one at that price it will have to be used.

Dixion and Cub Cadet are the cheap ones they will be less than one of the better built mowers.

If you get one that is several years old then 3K will buy a major brand.

Just shop for the best deal you can find if you could add another 1K then you would open up a lot of new options.
Simplicity makes some with suspension on them and the bigger heavier machines will ride better but they are well beyond 3K
With the budget you have you will have to settle for something LESS THAN THE BEST

Chev

Threads
Don't be fooled by Black Bart's opinion of Cubs and Dixons. Either machine is lightyears better than a residential mower.

Black Bart

Threads
Don't be fooled by Black Bart's opinion of Cubs and Dixons. Either machine is lightyears better than a residential mower.
Yep MTD makes the best. :laughing:

Chev

Threads
True enough. If you don't have a fuel injected water cooled Kubota you should sell your living mother's organs to buy one.

Seriously, do some research on the residential John Donts at the big box stores and compare them to any commercial mower.

Look for things like tapered roller bearings in the spindles, separate hydro pumps and wheel motors, replaceable hydro filters, heavy duty multiple stage air filters, and the obvious fabricated heavy gauge deck. Beware of companies that put a heavy gauge deck on a mower and have integrated hydraulics with no ability to even change the fluid and no filter in the system.

Be wary of the Fanboys that tell you the brand they bought is the only one that is worth buying.

Avoid buying a mower with recent major work like hydraulic pump repairs. These systems will last thousands of hours if maintained properly and if someone has a major breakdown in the first 500 hours they probably abuse it, or they got a lemon and want to pass it off on you.

Look at how hard maintenance on items like belts and bearing grease. Look up blade cost.

Google and craigslist are your friend. There are also some equipment resellers online that can help you judge the prices of used equipment or find what you are looking for.

benski

Threads
Chev;
Well said. There are several vendors of used equipment out there, and their pricing can be a great starting point for how much $3,000.00 will buy. Just like used automobiles, the companies usually take them in as used equipment, check them out, and hopefully make any needed repairs, and turn them around. A nice piece of privately owned equipment can be a great buy, but obviously is a bigger risk than buying from a dealer with a 30 or 90 day warranty.:wink: