In a Quandry About Riding Mowers.

BucksCountyPa

Forum Newbie
Threads
We just bought a new house with an acre of land (see photos). I am in need of a new riding mower and am considering both traditional four-wheel and zero turn radius models.

I've been researching and reading everything I can find online about lawn tractors/riding mowers, including reading just about every post on this web site. I have also visited my local agricultural/home/farm equipment dealers/service shops (not big-box stores) to see what they have on hand.

After all of this I still cannot make a rational decision about what type of mower to buy and which engine manufacturer the mower should have on it. Engine choice is a tough one because there are as many good points about a manufacturer as there are bad points. Everybody has a personal preference, just like in politics and/or religion. Since I'm a newbie, I am open to conversion. Give it your best shot. But do it with data, not emotion.

I can tell you this; I am torn between two brands, 1) Simplicity and 2) Toro. Please do muddle the waters by offering me any advice on other brands. It was hard enough to make it this far.

Here are the traditional models I'm looking at:
1. Toro LX467. 42"cut/manual PTO/2 blade/hydrostatic transmission/20hp Kohler Courage Twin Cam engine. MSRP$1899.
2. Toro LX468. 46"cut/electric PTO/2 blade/hydrostatic transmission/22hp Kohler Courage Twin Cylinder engine. MSRP$2199.
3. Simplicity Regent 22/44. 44"cut/electric PTO/3 blade/hydrostatic transmission/22hp Two Cylinder Briggs & Stratton engine. MSRP$2699.
4. Simplicity Regent 23/46. 46"cut/electric PTO/3 blade/hydrostatic transmission/23hp Kohler Two Cylinder Courage engine. MSRP$2999.

Here are the zero turn radius models I'm looking at:
1. Toro Timecutter SS4235. 42"cut/2 blade/dual hydrostatic transmission/20hp Kawasaki V-Twin engine. MSRP$2799.
2. Simplicity Axion 21/42. 42"cut/2 blade/hydrostatic transmission/21hp B&S Pro Series OHV engine. MSRP$2599.

For the life of me I cannot understand the $800 price difference between traditional Toro and Simplicity mowers, especially since the zero turn models are on $200 apart. From what I've read in the forums, comparing brands, for the most part, is like comparing Chevys and Fords. It's not like we're comparing a Chevy with a Mecerdes Benz here, especially in the homeowner weekend-mower market. And isn't it interesting that both Toro and Simplicity used the same engine in their 46" mowers? But hey, for eight-hundred bucks you get one more horsepower!

So here are my questions:
1. Traditional or Zero Turn? Then,
2. Simplicity or Toro? Then,
3. Kohler or B&S or Kawasaki?

By the way, the dealers I've visited sell and service both Toro and Simplicity.
Have at it gentlemen. I settle on September 21st.
:confused2:

Attachments

• outside.jpg
    outside.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Wrightstown-20110802-00023.jpg
    Wrightstown-20110802-00023.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Wrightstown-20110802-00039.jpg
    Wrightstown-20110802-00039.jpg
    409 KB · Views: 30
  • Wrightstown-20110802-00040.jpg
    Wrightstown-20110802-00040.jpg
    460.8 KB · Views: 28

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I worked in the shop at a dealer that sold Simplicity mowers and did repair work on a lot of different brand mowers. I have to say that Simplicity was one of the better made mowers. I also have worked on a lot of Toro/ Wheel horse and have to say the same for them. Briggs or Kohler would be my choice for engines. I really don't think you could go wrong with any one of the mowers you are looking at. So go for price.

BucksCountyPa

Forum Newbie
Threads
I worked in the shop at a dealer that sold Simplicity mowers and did repair work on a lot of different brand mowers. I have to say that Simplicity was one of the better made mowers. I also have worked on a lot of Toro/ Wheel horse and have to say the same for them. Briggs or Kohler would be my choice for engines. I really don't think you could go wrong with any one of the mowers you are looking at. So go for price.

Thank you. I was thinking the same thing about price, but since I have no experience in this area I thought I'd seek out the wisdom of those who are more knowledgeable than I am about it. What is your take on traditional versus ztr mowers? Since I'm up in the $2200 to $2600 range, price isn't really an issue about which type of mower to buy.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
First off.... great post! All the information necessary to make a qualified decision, and nice place you've purchased there. I like the stone, it's very nice yet unpretentious.
I don't think it matters much which way you go, you've done your homework so I think you can feel good about any of those choices. All of those engines have a service history that speaks for it's self.
I know little about simplicity but if noma says it's good then it's good.
I would suggest you start by looking for the expendables online now so that you know clearly what your parts/servicability and operational costs will look like. That way you don't have any unpleasant surprises. I'm talking about filters, belts, blades and attachments you may want to add. Looks like your going to be spending time collecting leaves this fall, and you live in snow country so it might be a good idea to consider what may be available to handle those chores as well, so keep that in mind.
Ventrac

Parkmower

Threads
Lt vs. Zt depends in what you plan on doing with it. I would recommend Zt, but that is only if you plan on using it for mowing. You can't even tow a cart with those zt's you mentioned. You can but you will void the warranty on the hydro pumps.
Lt if you plan on mowing, snowplowing, or towing a cart of mulch. But your mowing time will suffer.

As far as leaves see if either if those Zt can add baggers. I have a z with a bagger to do leaves but I just got it this summer so haven't tested it on actual leaves.

And I like toro. Have used alot of their products over theyears and never let me down.
Never touched a simplicity.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there - WELCOME to LMF!

I moved your thread to the Mower Buying & Pricing Forum. :smile:

benski

Threads
4. Simplicity Regent. Very nice LT, and I don't think you'll have quite as much into annual maintenance as a ZT.:cool::licking::biggrin: Unless the Briggs is a Vanguard series, I'd probably stick with the Kohler.

possum

Threads
I have a friend with one of those timecutters, he likes it and it seems to mow real well. Only one Simplicity around here and it gets very little use. Those LX Toros however are all over town and about every other near town along with all their many relatives of similar make but different colors and names. The LX and others like them I see in the repair shop for the most part are just getting serviced. Around here lawn tractors are about 40 per cent MTD types, 40 per cent John Deer, and 20 per cent a mix of everything else. The zero turns are about 40 per cent MTD types, 40 per cent of the higher end stuff with Hustler being the dominant one and 20 per cent a mix of everything else.

BucksCountyPa

Forum Newbie
Threads
Was initially concerned about the slope of the yard, especially in the front. Have been observing folks throughout the county mowing their yards and decided that slope was not an issue. Now to decide on which ZTR, Simplicity or Toro. Will have to review the specs again and start looking for late summer deals.

benski

Threads
:eek:They should be out there right about now..shopowners trying to make room for trash pumps, skiffs, and outboard motors..