Walk behind Are lawn mowers ever lasting ?

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
If the oil is changed regularly, can a lawn mower last forever ?

My friend in Canada has a 1992 Tecumseh 3.5HP Push Walk Behind mower that has about 10,000 hours on it (probably more), has never been rebuilt, and is still running fantastically.

I know engines were made better back then, so that has something to do with why it still runs like new, but surely if I keep up with the servicing on my 2011 Mountfield 2.6HP Self Propelled Walk Behind mower it could last as long, if not longer ?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the oil is changed regularly, can a lawn mower last forever ?

My friend in Canada has a 1992 Tecumseh 3.5HP Push Walk Behind mower that has about 10,000 hours on it (probably more), has never been rebuilt, and is still running fantastically.

I know engines were made better back then, so that has something to do with why it still runs like new, but surely if I keep up with the servicing on my 2011 Mountfield 2.6HP Self Propelled Walk Behind mower it could last as long, if not longer ?

10,000 hours at 19 years old? HORSE SQUEEZE...that calculates to just under 1.5 hours of mowing EVERY DAY. NOBODY puts THAT kind of hours on a push mower!!!!! So tell us just how he knows it has 10,000 hours running time? In mowing 5 acres here I put a measured 85-90 HOURS for the entire season on my tractor, and the one year I kept a record I put about 65 hours total on my two push mowers. 150 hours in 7 months mowing season works out to 1.4 hours per day, but NOBODY is going to be mowing 365 days a year.

For what it is worth, I have a 1990 3.5 hp Tecumseh walk behind pusher that began burning oil at about 6 years old, despite regular service. Your mower may be a good product, but you can forget about it lasting that long. Regular service, or not. When my JD 318 was new, they told me the engine (Heavy Duty twin cylinder Onan gasoline) would give up to 1800-2000 hours before a rebuild. At 1200 it began burning oil, despite perfect service at regular intervals.

Sorry to let you down, but 10,000 hours....HORSE PATOOIE.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
The short answer to your question is NO. NOTHING lasts forever, no matter HOW OCD you are about the maintainence.

I agree with JD......I think ya got an extra zero in there, bud.......unless you're using METRIC hours, then it might be different. :wink:

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
10,000 hours at 19 years old? HORSE SQUEEZE...that calculates to just under 1.5 hours of mowing EVERY DAY. NOBODY puts THAT kind of hours on a push mower!!!!! So tell us just how he knows it has 10,000 hours running time? In mowing 5 acres here I put a measured 85-90 HOURS for the entire season on my tractor, and the one year I kept a record I put about 65 hours total on my two push mowers. 150 hours in 7 months mowing season works out to 1.4 hours per day, but NOBODY is going to be mowing 365 days a year.

For what it is worth, I have a 1990 3.5 hp Tecumseh walk behind pusher that began burning oil at about 6 years old, despite regular service. Your mower may be a good product, but you can forget about it lasting that long. Regular service, or not. When my JD 318 was new, they told me the engine (Heavy Duty twin cylinder Onan gasoline) would give up to 1800-2000 hours before a rebuild. At 1200 it began burning oil, despite perfect service at regular intervals.

Sorry to let you down, but 10,000 hours....HORSE PATOOIE.
It was used by his father for years and it covered around 10 hours every week when he lived at a property with very large lawns. It is now only used for about 1 hour every week.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
It was used by his father for years and it covered around 10 hours every week when he lived at a property with very large lawns. It is now only used for about 1 hour every week.

So, what does the hourmeter say? And just FYI, NOBODY IN CANADA MOWS YEAR AROUND. NOBODY !!!!

benski

Threads
That is remarkable service out of that piece of equipment. I certainly would think it is the exception rather than the rule. If I can squeeze 1800 hrs out of any piece of aircooled equipment, I consider myself very lucky.:biggrin:

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
So, what does the hourmeter say? And just FYI, NOBODY IN CANADA MOWS YEAR AROUND. NOBODY !!!!
I never said he did mow all year round. It is probably a little less than 10,000 hours when I think about it, but not much less. There is no hourometer fitted, I just added it up using rough calculations.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I never said he did mow all year round. It is probably a little less than 10,000 hours when I think about it, but not much less. There is no hourometer fitted, I just added it up using rough calculations.

ROUGH INDEED.....VERY FLIPPING ROUGH. May I suggest you stop trying to convince us somebody actually has a 10,000 running hour push mower? If they were built THAT GOOD BACK THEN, everybody would still be using theirs.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't know how big of a lawn you are mowing, but changes are you won't be putting over 50hr. a year on your push mower. That would give you 20 years for 1000 hrs. Maybe the engine will last but what about the rest of the mower? I think you said the frame was plastic and that gets bridle with age. That will be time to throw away and buy new. I don't think we are talking about a commercial mower that cost thousands of dollars or however your money is called in Scotland.

Black Bart

Threads
Ok I'm going to be blunt Their is no way in hell that he has 10,000 hours on a air cooled engine
TOTAL BS