Mower deck Zero Turn PTO

Jons

Threads
Hello I have a CC zero turn and the pto just shuts off while mowing, If I shut off the motor it won't restart the battery is dead. has new battery and the mower can set for weeks and starts right up. battery only goes dead when pto acts up. Any ideas. Thanks Jon

Ifixdit

Threads
Sounds like you could have a safety switch issue. Check and make sure your seat switch has a good connection.

Jons

Threads
Thanks would this make my battery go dead ? When it acts up the battery goes dead.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello I have a CC zero turn and the pto just shuts off while mowing, If I shut off the motor it won't restart the battery is dead. has new battery and the mower can set for weeks and starts right up. battery only goes dead when pto acts up. Any ideas. Thanks Jon

WELCOME to LMF...
Are you saying that ... When the battery is so near dead while mowing, the PTO clutch will disengage and then after shutting off the engine, the battery is (still) so discharged that it will not restart the engine.... ?

If that's what is happening, That would be normal... The PTO clutch needs full voltage to remain engaged... If the charging circuit is not keeping the battery Above 12 volts with the engine running, the PTO clutch will drain the battery down to the point it will disengage, at that point there will not be enough left in the battery to start the engine.

Check the charging circuit out... If you allow the PTO to run with low voltage it will burn out the clutch... :smile:KennyV

Jons

Threads
Hi Thanks, when I mow sometimes after 30 min of mowing if I stop the pto blades to pickup something on the ground the pto won't start back up. Let mower sit for half hour turned off, then restart engine which starts fine lots of battery power and pto engages fine. Lately the pto just stops and the battery is dead. It seems like when pto stops it will drain battery in few seconds. If I can get thru mowing and park unit restarts one week later perfect. Thanks again.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check voltage at the battery, you have something not right with the charging system...
Voltage should be slightly above 12 volts with engine OFF... and above 13 volts with engine running AND PTO on...
Could be a loose OR corroded connection... :smile:KennyV

Jons

Threads
Thanks again will let you know what I find. (with your help) Jon

Jons

Threads
Put battery charger on mower for three hours, then mowed rest of 3 acres ran fine no pto disengagement. Just went and checked battery after sitting for few hours, Battery has 12.2 volts, started up, reved up and it stayed at 12.2 so no charging. Where should I look for no charging. Thanks again. Jon

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Now you are on the track of the real problem... not charging.
Check for a fuse or fuseable link ...
also check the voltage regulator...
remember all connections have to be good & clean...:smile:KennyV

Jons

Threads
Ok fixed, had a bad stator, no charging to battery. Thanks for all the help, KennyV
Jon :smile: