Battery Keeps Dying

GoldenMonkey

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've been through so many batteries on my lawn mower. Trying to figure out what it might be.

I have a Dixon ZTR 3000 series, not sure exactly which one, but it has a Vanguard 15.5 HP model number 280777 engine.

When the mower runs, it runs great, but for some reason, if I don't mow that often, I'll sometimes go out to mow my lawn and my battery will be completely dead.

What could be drawing power while it's just sitting there? The keys not in, by the way. Lately I've been disconnecting the battery while it's not being used, but my idiot brother mowed last and didn't unhook, and now it's dead again. I'm tired of trading in and buying new batteries.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Something is drawing power even with the switch off.

There must be some circuit that is staying energized Even with the switch off.
If you have a multimeter, turn the key off and then check for voltage to relays etc. the key switch may not be breaking contact to some circuit that is still drawing power. Also, you could get a "battery maintainer" (also called a trickle charger) If you have an outlet where you store the machine.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Along with what BKBrown covered... you could have a bad rectifier in the voltage regulator on the charging system... and it is bleeding off the battery when not running...
BTW, just because you have a dead battery is no reason to replace it. They generally will recharge... & WELCOME to LMF... :smile:KennyV

GoldenMonkey

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the welcome, KennyV!:thumbsup:

Now for some questions. I'm not very adept with electrical wiring or using a multimeter, but I do have a multimeter. So bear with me.

@BKBrown
You said to check the voltage to relays. What are these relays? Up under my ignition, which thankfully I can see semi-clearly without having to take the mower apart, there are a bunch or wires which look as though they just run into this black protective tubing that runs up under the seat, which can be lifted up, and then to the engine. I'm guessing at least two of those wires run to the battery. Is it something between the ignition and the battery? Or is it between the ignition and the engine?

@KennyV
Rectifier? Voltage regulator? Charging system? You lost me.

Will I need to take this thing apart to do this? Would doing that then maybe taking a picture and uploading be helpful? Or should I just take it to a shop? I'd rather not spend the money, and I'm willing to learn. I'd like to know how to fix my mower. Would be a useful skill.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Briggs uses an alternator under the flywheel to generate electricity for recharging the battery and running all the electrical needs on your mower... the alternator makes AC voltage and the voltage regulator along with a rectifier changes the AC voltage to DC at the proper level to maintain the battery ... The diodes in the rectifier can cause the battery to discharge if they are shorted... :smile:KennyV

PS... this is a link to a 'primer' on Briggs charging systems... give it a look over.... : Testing the Electrical System | Frequently Asked Questions | Customer Support | Briggs & Stratton

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
I see machines all the time like this and it is caused by an owner that bypassed a seat safety or brake safety - machine is in a state of readiness running or not .