John Deere 170 Lawnmower will not start

tomcat

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a John Deere 170 riding lawnmower. I can turn the key to start the engine but nothing happens. I checked the battery, it's OK. With a test light, I checked to see if I had power to the starter. Yes, I have power. I can hear the blade click with I turn the blade switch on. It sounds like a safety switch is not working causing the engine not to start. I have one safety switch under the seat. I bypassed this switch but it will not start. The clutch has to be pushed in to start but I do not know where this switch is. Does anyone know where the clutch safety switch is located on this mower????

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Your pto switch will most likely have half of it dedicated to a start safety, it must be in the off position to allow the starter solenoid to energize.
Follow the wiring from solenoid it will take you through all the safety switches... each switch should show a short or closed position when they are set to start...
The clutch switch will be on the linkage.

The seat switch is usually in the circuit that keeps the engine running after it is started and the pto is on.... KennyV