bought my first snapper, and had to push it home

nad3ooo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greetings fellers,

my 'down the street neighbor' had a classic looking snapper RER for sale, he said it has a 'blown engine'

i asked him what he was asking for it, he told me to make him an offer...pushed it home for $50

snapper.PNG

nad3ooo

Forum Newbie
Threads
So, I took some of the covers off the top of the engine (12hp briggs) and spun the top...it seemed to have very little resistance, so im thinking something inside is broken(connecting rod?).

With any luck there isn't a hole in the bottom of the lower engine case, and the profuse oil leak is just a compromised seal...

thoughts?

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Great pick-up!

Love to see pics. *EDIT* saw it. Nice job!

Might be anything. Could be fried rings due to lack of oil, a busted rod, etc......

Even if it IS blown to heaven, a replacement 12HP B&S shouldn't be all that expensive to find used. Find an old Craftsman without a deck, or an old Murray or some other cheaper rider without a deck, and you should get a cheap engine. :smile: If it is a RER or a regular rider (I now see it's a RER) with the disk-drive tranny, it'll take up to 18 horse no problem. Select RER's came with twin cylinder 16's and 18's, FYI......:wink: Same tranny.

nad3ooo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks twall,

I appreciate the encouragement and information. I am certainly no lawnmower expert, but couldn't pass up on a chance to own a Snapper.

I am going to do my best to document any progress I make.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks twall,

I appreciate the encouragement and information. I am certainly no lawnmower expert, but couldn't pass up on a chance to own a Snapper.

I am going to do my best to document any progress I make.

I, for one, really hope you do. It's in otherwise great shape! :thumbsup: Can't tell I love Snappers, can ya? :biggrin:

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
great find!.....you've got an easy fix.....like Twall said...you can find an engine in a number of places...id love to see that twin idea on that thing :thumbsup::thumbsup:

nad3ooo

Forum Newbie
Threads
well guys, after removing the engine and taking the lower half off, it immediatly became apparent how severe the damage was inside...

IMAG0721.jpg

you might be able to tell by the pic, but the rod was 'all galled up' where the bearing should be, so after giving the crankshaft a quick fingering, it was apparent that i would either need a new crankshaft or [does anyone] have the journal turned/ground

pass on that, time to go after a new or used engine...

so, with that being said, can anyone recommend some good websites for new/used 12hp briggs?

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
i would check locally on craigslist.... and go to mower repair shops and ask whos got used engines around the area....with some phone calls you can stir up alot of possibilities......also engines off other kind of equipment will fit...tell us what you come up with :thumbsup:.....theres always ebay...but shipping 'll kill ya....thats why i recommend local

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
well guys, after removing the engine and taking the lower half off, it immediatly became apparent how severe the damage was inside...

IMAG0721.jpg

you might be able to tell by the pic, but the rod was 'all galled up' where the bearing should be, so after giving the crankshaft a quick fingering, it was apparent that i would either need a new crankshaft or [does anyone] have the journal turned/ground

pass on that, time to go after a new or used engine...

so, with that being said, can anyone recommend some good websites for new/used 12hp briggs?

I made some suggestions - keep your eyes open when you're driving. Look in people's yards a bit as you pass. If you see a mower that's obviously been sitting awhile, stop and ask about it.

nad3ooo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well guys, I found a donor engine from a guy I work with, went from a 12hp Briggs to a 14.5hp Briggs. I had some challeneges along the way

1. fuel solenoid- i wasnt getting gas because the fuel solenoid in the new engine had a broken connector(it wasnt hooked up anyway)...i took the pin out, no sweat

2. the fuel valve (rubber fuel tank bushing) broke on me- $5 replacement from the snapper dealer

3. the drive disk needed adjustment- i wasnt getting any drive out of the wheels, it would go about 10' and just peeter out. I adjusted the position of the drive disc along the output shaft to 1/4" clearance from the driven disc(rubber coated) while the clutch was fully depressed

these little nit-picky things are really the only issues i had with taking a mower from the 'pushed home' condition to the 'cutting grass' condition