Hustler 4600 Diesel Dead in the Field

saverill

Forum Newbie
Threads
Any suggestions on possible easy fixes to check before I get a winch to load this puppy up on a trailer. Was mowing yesterday, all was well with the world, and while mowing, mower simply shut off. Shut off as it does when you get off the seat without disengaging the blades, placing the joy stick plates down and taking the PTO off before un-assing the seat. I checked an inline fuse right after the ignition cluster and it seams fine. It just seems that something electrical told it to shut down and am hoping that someone may have had a similar experience and safe me about a half days trip to a service dealer.

Thanks So Much ~~

mullins87

Threads
Will it do anything if you place of the controls in "neutral" and try to start it? A diesel doesn't require any electricity to run once started, unless it has a 12v fuel cutoff, so a blown fuse may or may not shut it down. I'd check your safety switches, then move on to the fuel cutoff.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
The 4600 is a nice machine... With a great little Kubota engine... Are you running range wings (Bat Wings)??
The fuel solenoid can be blocked to allow you to start the engine and drive it anywhere you need...
Kubota generally uses a Fuel shut off solenoid, BUT they also have a Fuel Hold ON solenoid... I forget what one Hustler has on the 4600, I can check this wkend...
But you can look at yours, the shut off solenoid has 2 wires and the Hold on solenoid has 3 wires... You will have one or the other, Not both.If it is the shut off solenoid just un plug it and start the engine, either with the key OR at the starter solenoid... (IF you do it at the starter BE sure the deck is OFF and that it is NOT going to drive over you).
The fuel solenoid is located at the fuel injector rack ....
If it has the fuel hold on solenoid pull it to the on position and block it ON... there is a spring that will want to pull it closed...
You will be able to mow or whatever you like but when it comes time to shut it down you will have to manually move the fuel shut off on the rack to off....
I f you don't determine what solenoid you have by the wkend I'll look and we can go from there...
BTW check your engine oil level and engine cooling system, some of the Industrial Hustler ZTR's have a low oil pressure & a hot engine kill system... don't defeat this system to move your mower UNLESS you are sure that one or the other didn't cause the shut down...

One other thing do not tow or push the 4600 unless you set both drive hydraulic systems in the 'tow' position... the wheel motors will act as pumps and you will $$ damage things if you move it without dis engaging Both hydraulic drive motors... :smile:KennyV

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
It uses the Pull & Hold ON type solenoid... (three wires)...

So to start and run it block the solenoid in the pulled position ... There is a spring that will try to shut the fuel lever off... if you pull the lever away from off and tie it there, it will start & run when you spin the starter...
This will allow you to finish what you are doing and get it back to a place to check it out...

:smile:KennyV