WTB walk behind 48 - 52" Scag, Exmark, Toro, Gravely, other?

68Malibu383

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / WTB walk behind 48 - 52" Scag, Exmark, Toro, Gravely, other?
Hi,
I am looking to replace my 14 year old Craftsman 42" rider with a walk behind for my lawn and maybe one other (about 1/2 -3/4 acre of grass). I am very mechanically inclined but know nothing about these mowers such as potential transmission issues, common deck/pulley problems, etc.

Any recommendations?

What would I expect to pay for one in decent condition? Would you stay away from anything that has a lot of hours and what is considered a lot?

Any additional information?

Thanks!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Welcome to LMF...
there are hydro models and gear drives... both work well and as with most commercial grade machines, they will stay together for a Lot of hours... the important thing with these as with about any well made machine... How well was the regular service preformed...
You will have an edge on most folks looking at used equipment... It would seem you feel you know machines and there fore will know what normal use should 'look' like... I love good used equipment. It is generally a great value... :smile:KennyV

68Malibu383

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. Any preference between gear and hydro in terms of longevity and ease of service? Can you replace individual parts in these drives or do you just R&R the unit? I'd think you could service them as I replaced a bearing in the gear box on an old rider I had but just asking.

benski

Threads
You can usually get the parts for the drives. If you've had the good fortune to buy a nice one, and keep the filter(s) changed out, you can go a lot of hours. I heartily recommend synthetic hydraulic and engine oil.:biggrin:

68Malibu383

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. I use synthetic in everything.