Are electric start mowers more expensive than pull start mowers?

beesnroses32

Threads
  • / Are electric start mowers more expensive than pull start mowers?
As the title says, are electric start mowers more expensive than pull start mowers? If they are, why are they if pull start mowers are more reliable?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
A starter with battery and charging system costs around $50, a pull rope and ratchet mechanism is less than $5 ... these costs are at manufacture cost NOT retail replacement costs. But with margin mark up you will see the difference magnified some what at retail..
As engine HP increases the pieces to start it get larger and more costly, up to the point that you can not pull start an engine over 10 to 15 HP... KennyV

Attachments

• Ariens-1.JPG
    Ariens-1.JPG
    321.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Ariens-belts.JPG
    Ariens-belts.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Ariens-deck lever.JPG
    Ariens-deck lever.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Ariens-Mod No decal.JPG
    Ariens-Mod No decal.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 20

beesnroses32

Threads
So that would mean...and it seems a bit obvious, people don't crank start their ride ons, but it didn't dawn on me, that all mowers over 10-15 HP are electric started? Which is pretty much all ride on mowers?

173abn

Threads
I put a pull start 12hp on a mower and it was a bugger to start,got smart and converted it to elec. start.Didn't cost nothing cause I used it off a wrecked engine. russ

noma

Threads
Hi

The best part of electric start is, they are so much easyer to get a engine started. We had a riding lawn mower when i was a kid and it was pull start and us kids had a devil of a time to get that thing started.Then tecumseh i think that's who made those then came out with one you could crank up, there was a spring in there and when you cranked it up and set it ,was like pulling on the string.They didn't work very good, if you had every thing set just right it might start it took a few times most of the time to get and engine started. I think any thing over a 5 hp needs electric start on it.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
So that would mean...and it seems a bit obvious, people don't crank start their ride ons, but it didn't dawn on me, that all mowers over 10-15 HP are electric started? Which is pretty much all ride on mowers?

Not all mowers 10 - 15 HP are electric start. My 13 hp Kawasaki V twin is a pull or recoil start and it cranks as easy as my 5 hp Honda. One pull and its running. The G 1548 Cub is a 15 hp Kawasaki and it's also a pull or recoil start. You'll find that most riding mowers are electric start for convenience. It's because of engine location, doesn't really have much to do with HP.

Last edited: