21 HP Craftsman mower won't start

NoNeedForAName

Forum Newbie
Threads
My mower has a 21-horse Briggs, and I can't get it to start. When I turn the key the solenoid gives me a click or two and the starter tries to engage. The starter gear turns a bit and pops up to connect with the flywheel, but doesn't actually turn the flywheel to get the engine running. The battery is putting out just over 12 volts and I have just over 12 volts across the solenoid. I tested the starter with a jump battery (by connecting the - to the frame and the + to the starter) and got the same result--it tried to engage the flywheel but couldn't actually get it going.

Any idea what my problem might be?

Also, I'm not an engine guy, but I'm on my way to being one. Any dumbing-down of your answers gets bonus points. Also, my terminology may not be 100% accurate, but I think it's close enough.

cubby

Threads
Before you condemn the starter double check all the electrical connections especially the ground
connections. Things always loosen up with vibration. Also try to turn engine over by hand to make sure its not locked up or has some type of load against it Good luck...cubby

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Good battery and a full 12 volts to the starter . All connections ,cables, and grounds are good. Engine turns over OK by hand. Nothing left but starter. Check your cables real good because I have seen cables that look OK but inside they are bad.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF....
If everything else cks okay... remove the starter and check out the bendix.... especially the gear if the teeth look good clean up the spiral track it spins out on... :smile:KennyV

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there - WELCOME to LMF!

I moved your thread to the Craftsman Forum. :smile:

tankdriver

Threads
A fully charged 12 volt battery is 12.7 volts, a dead 12 volt battery is 11.9. so there is very little differance. But generally a 12 volt battery reading 12v is a dead battery and eiither needs to be recharged, or replaced. I worked with industriakl batterys for 20 years on electric Forklifts. Most of the time, battery's not watered, or not charged, or quick charged is most of our problems.

benski

Threads
I'll agree that a bad battery or connections is probably the culprit in this case. One other thing I'll do sometimes is spread a thin film of "Never-Sneeze ":)laughing:) on the helix portion of the starter.