Fuel Fuel

upnorth

Threads
Here in northern ny mostly all the gas stations have a gasoline/ethanol mix [10%] I was told by several guys that do logging up here that the ethanol will make problems for all two stroke and four stroke small engines. Neoprene gaskets will deteriorate and leak, vegetable gaskets will disintegrate.
What to do if this stuff is the only fuel available?

LandN

Threads
in illinois i have had 'o' problems with 10% ethenal with any machines unless maybe someone is adding like heet or something in the gas raising the 10% to a higher number. years ago we had a methonal mix that was kinda nasty.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
in illinois i have had 'o' problems with 10% ethenal with any machines unless maybe someone is adding like heet or something in the gas raising the 10% to a higher number. years ago we had a methonal mix that was kinda nasty.

You are correct, I have been using the 10% ethanol/90% gasoline in my small engines for a long, long time, and have had zero fuel related problems.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here in northern ny mostly all the gas stations have a gasoline/ethanol mix [10%] I was told by several guys that do logging up here that the ethanol will make problems for all two stroke and four stroke small engines. Neoprene gaskets will deteriorate and leak, vegetable gaskets will disintegrate.

"Vegetable gaskets......":confused2::confused2::confused2: WHAT ARE THOSE???!!!

And BTW if logger boys are so flipping, flying, smart what do THEY burn in their small engines? Kerosene? Aviation gas?

possum

Threads
Vegetable paper compressed gaskets have been around for awhile. They are known to dislike ethanol. It would seem the ethanol thing is overblown by some on both sides of the issue. It depends on what group a person talks to. Around here ethanol is considered to be good for the farmers, and this is farm country. However, the folks who keep vintage cars do not like it at all. Motorcycle folks do not like it much either. Boaters just plain hate the stuff. It seems to have eaten the grey fuel lines on an older garden cultivator, an older string trimmer, an older generator, an older snowblower, and though I cannot prove it, seems to keep making the tank in an older Toro gas tank dirty no matter how many times I clean it out and in just a few days. Now the snowblower was self inflicted, gas got left in the tank for a couple months. The rest of the stuff was all drained out and ran out before storage. But after a couple uses the gas lines all fell apart. Could be however the lines just died of old age. I do know I no longer use ethanol in any of the older stuff, none in my 2 stroke mix, and as seldom as possible in my new mower. But I may get over being paranoid by next year and go back to ethanol, who knows. My service tech said ethanol is fine in small engines but thinks 91 octane is the way to go with it. I asked him what he puts in his new Harley and he looked around a bit and pointed to a small fuel station in the corner of his shop and replied. Real gasoline. Need to add, this is from folks in my area, I have not talked to folks from other areas.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads

Right around the corner from you in Brandon, on Reynoldston Road, I have been using that gas for years now, Mower, ATV;s Chainsaws, Motorcycles, car, etc. I have never had a fuel problem yet. A good chance I am getting my gas from the same source you are and the loggers seeing that fuel stations are very few in that part of Franklin county. Not saying I won't have in the future seeing I had to put new fuel lines on my neighbors mower this pass summer.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
the main problem with ethanol is that it absorbs water.....and the parts in fuel system dont do well with it....it increases corrosion and mixed with old gas [that turns to varnish] it becomes a gunky glue that can dry and become like cement.....our small engines fair pretty well because of the simple carb designs....but in the motorcycle world with carbs that have air bleed passages the size of hair....its a real nightmare....a month old tank of gas can shut down working carbs....the best thing to do with mowers is run then out of gas before you park them for winter

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
In my experience, the whole hub-bub about ethanol is overblown. I wish I had a choice to buy pure gasoline but it's not that big a deal.

In addition to draining the tanks (and running the engine to clear the carb) of any two-stroke that I'm storing, I'd use fuel stabilizer with any gas that's going to sit around for more than about a month.

I might add that the precaution of draining two-stroke equipment before storage applies even without ethanol.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Run the 10% it will be fine... there are millions of others using it everyday, if you are anticipating problems, you will have problems, weather the problem is fuel related or not...
I don't have a lot of gasoline engines anymore but the half dozen or so that I do have do very well burning ethanol and I am sure they will continue... the oldest one is a 4 cylinder IH tractor almost 60 years old... Runs perfect .... :smile:KennyV