Blowing fuses

Willieksc

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm currently in the fuse blowing mode w/my Craftsman 24hp, 42" deck riding mower. Something is causing the 20 amp fuse for the mower deck/blades to blow quite frequently now. Fuses for mowing 1.5 acres are getting expensive. Anyone have any ideas as to the cause of this?

"fuse man" (for now)

Sent from willieksc using LMF

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would say that it is probably some of the wiring to the electric clutch that engages the mower deck. Most likely one of the positive wires is bare somewhere and when it touches ground, it blows the fuse. probably happens when you hit a bump or make a sharp turn. Check all your wires to the clutch.

oldman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had sort of same thing. I looked and looked but i coud'nt find it. Then i did find it. U have a short some where in the wiring. Trace the wires till u find a bad wire or wires.

greggn

Threads
Check the airgap on the clutch, there should be 3 slots and the gap if I remember is 0. 012 thou. If gap is too big the current draw increases.

Threads
I dont know for sure about yours but mine has a 30amp fuse... Maybe this could help..

kalanbays

Forum Newbie
Threads
I dont know for sure about yours but mine has a 30amp fuse... Maybe this could help..
Any chance you could tell me exactly where your fuse is located. I suspect I have a blown fuse, but cannot locate it. It looks like I have the same or similar mower as you do.

Thanks,