Toro 22inch GTS 6.5 hp front wheel drive Large rear wheels wobble, cracked hubs

wgoldman

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Toro 22inch GTS 6.5 hp front wheel drive Large rear wheels wobble, cracked hubs
I purchased this mower from Ace (Waconia Farm Supply) for around $300 in 2003. The rear wheels have been nothing but problems since about 2005. I have had 2 wheels crack in the hub, then the wheels would constantly come loose (and wobble) so I had to carry a wrench with me and tighten them 5 or 6 times per mow (1 hour 15 minutes). Now the place it threads into stripped (which already happened once to me). I complained to Ace about 2 years ago, they called Toro and Toro said that the mowers' rear tires shouldn't be bumped against things and it was not made for a hilly yard. I had a $150 craftsman last me 17 years. Not too happy right now...

Last edited:

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Toro 22inch GTS 6.5 hp front wheel drive Large rear wheels wobble, cracked hubs
Hey there - WELCOME to LMF!

I moved your thread to the Toro Forum. :smile:

earthworm

Threads
Another case of a man giving up too easily. The two mowers are about the same quality-wise....factor in inflation.
My first mower was at $75, back in 1955.
My last (I hope) will be $1000.
Design/features ....no comparsion.
Quality , I do not know....
I THINK that I have seen better quality wheels for sale - if the rest of the machine is OK, I'd upgrade.
But, a year too late!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sound to me like the wheel bolts keep coming loose. After you repair the threads to the wheel bolts buy yourself a small tube of blue Loctite and install on the new threads.