Engine how to remove oil filter from 35hp. Vanguard

turftiger

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently purchased a Scag Turf Tiger with a 35hp Vanguard, and Can't figure out what special tool I need to remove the oil filter. a regular or even a small version oil filter removal wrench will not work and I have damaged the filter with a pair of channel locks. Surely their is a way to do this filter change. Any help would be seriously appreciated. Regards, Bobby Moyers

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
There are all kinds of filter wrenches out there. If the filter is already damaged, the best way I know of is a strap wrench or if it is too bad, drive a punch or screw driver through the filter and use that to turn the filter.

Good Luck and don't over tighten it when you put the new one on !

turftiger

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Bk, I did finally get the thing off. I appreciate your help and I will be looking for a wrench just for the size filter I'm using. I was careful to not overtighten the new filter. Thanks againg! Turftiger

LandN

Threads
at this point the damaged filter(i assume it is ripped to the point of leaking) has lost most of the rigidity strength. unless it is just damaged by way of rounding the bottom edges that a cup wrench would fit it.either way i would get the widest strap wrench and make sure your going the right direction,if you can,slide the strap wrench as high on the filter as you can. thats where the strongest part of the filter is(near the base)if that dont work then you might try a blunt edged tool with small hammer and walk it loose(again near the base)BUT BE VERY VERY CAREFULL and finesse it a lot.the filter body is not very thick at all,so use caution when using a driven-through screwdriver method so as not to further rip the body....where the filter is damaged will determine the way to remove it which we cannot see here.good luck.:smile:eek:h yeah,putting a new one back on hand tighten ONLY run the machine after and check for leaks

benski

Threads
There are several "sockets" that fit over the end of filters and then you can use a 3/8" or 1/2" drive ratchet to twist the filter off. OP might see if a local parts vendor or his dealer carries them. Failing that, talk with a tech for 20 seconds at the dealership and see what they use.:wink:

Threads
When replacing the filter always coat the new filter's gasket/O-ring seal with oil to allow it to spin on properly and for the gasket to properly seat. Take it hand tight, then about another 1/4 turn. Never use a wrench to tighten it, and check for leaks . And to be on the safe side, check the old filter to make sure it's gasket/O-ring is on the filter and NOT on the engine's filter housing/ flange.

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
Use and old dress belt . Turn the belt backwards and put the belt end thru the metal rectangle - pull the belt end until tight Counter clock wise - filter will spin off .