john deere d170

swalt

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am looking for a way to disable the seat kill switch and the revearse blade shut off switch.Any help would be appreciated. 2011 John Deere D 170. thanks

mullins87

Threads
The reverse switch I understand....but why the seat switch?

swalt

Forum Newbie
Threads
I get alot of debris in the yard .Over 3 acres surrounded by woods. I end up shutting it down every ten minutes to pick stuff up. I have a bank to mow and the kill switch is inside the seat right in the middle so I can't slide over to one side of the seat without killing it. It can't be good for the engine to get killed that many times.

mullins87

Threads
Ah, gotcha. :thumbsup: I have a pond bank that causes me to stay smack in the middle of the seat, even when I'd like to be perched on the high side.

I have an LA175....basically the same tractor. I haven't bothered to disconnect mine yet, but I'd bet making a short jumper wire to go from one terminal to the other would bypass that switch.

Newfydad

Forum Newbie
Threads
Both defeats are relatively simple. But you didnt hear it from me. The safety features are there to protect dummies like us and they shouldnt be tampered with. But strictly for educational purposes.......

1. To defeat the reverse blade shutoff, lift the hood and pull the connector off the back of the yellow button on the dash. Not the blade engagement button, the other one that lets you mow in reverse. The manual calls it the RIO switch. Insert a jumper wire in the connector and you'll be able to mow in reverse whenever you like without messing with the button.

2. Defeating the seat switch is a little more complicated because there are 2 interconnected circuits involved. Rather than try to figure out the electrical, there is the 6-minute lazy way out. Flip the seat up and remove the 4 bolts that hold it to the frame. The seat switch is in the middle bottom of the seat. Give the switch a slight turn counter-clockwise and it will come out of the seat. Remove the dome structure from the switch assembly - it will be very obvious when you see the switch - and insert something in there to hold the plunger down. A wad of paper towel or whatever. Re-assemble and you're done.

Now you can mow in reverse and get off the machine with the motor still running and the mower blades spinning - dangerous as hell.

PJ

Threads
I get alot of debris in the yard .Over 3 acres surrounded by woods. I end up shutting it down every ten minutes to pick stuff up. I have a bank to mow and the kill switch is inside the seat right in the middle so I can't slide over to one side of the seat without killing it. It can't be good for the engine to get killed that many times.

Hi
JD has a handbrake if used. And you swith of the mower blades the engine wil continue running even if you get of the seat. Please try it and do not elimenate a safety feature

PJ

PJ

Threads

Hi
JD has a handbrake if used. And you switch of the mower blades the engine wil continue running even if you get of the seat. Please try it and do not elimenate a safety feature

PJ

OldDeere

Forum Newbie
Threads
Both defeats are relatively simple. But you didnt hear it from me. The safety features are there to protect dummies like us and they shouldnt be tampered with. But strictly for educational purposes.......

1. To defeat the reverse blade shutoff, lift the hood and pull the connector off the back of the yellow button on the dash. Not the blade engagement button, the other one that lets you mow in reverse. The manual calls it the RIO switch. Insert a jumper wire in the connector and you'll be able to mow in reverse whenever you like without messing with the button.

2. Defeating the seat switch is a little more complicated because there are 2 interconnected circuits involved. Rather than try to figure out the electrical, there is the 6-minute lazy way out. Flip the seat up and remove the 4 bolts that hold it to the frame. The seat switch is in the middle bottom of the seat. Give the switch a slight turn counter-clockwise and it will come out of the seat. Remove the dome structure from the switch assembly - it will be very obvious when you see the switch - and insert something in there to hold the plunger down. A wad of paper towel or whatever. Re-assemble and you're done.

Now you can mow in reverse and get off the machine with the motor still running and the mower blades spinning - dangerous as hell.

Yep, what he said!!!!!!!