Switch from a tractor to a rear engine??

GregU

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got a JD L111 20hp tractor style mower. We moved about 3 yrs ago and have a lot smaller yard. Smaller yet after a garage add on. I really don't need this large of a mower anymore, but would still like to have a rider of some kind. I'd like to find a used rear engine style to take it's place. I've seen some JD SX75's for sale occasionally. But when I do a search on the 75 usually all I see are people asking how to fix a problem on theirs. Is the SX75 one to stay away from? Is the 85/95 a better mower? I don't necessarily have to stick w/JD, but we have had a lot of JD farm equip and mowers over the years, so I do like the products. Or, is there another rear engine rider that seems to stand out? Thanks. Greg

possum

Threads
I have a friend here in town who rebuilt two of the old rear engine Toros about 5 years ago. He still uses them out to the farm after 3 years in town. In town he bought two new rear engined Snappers and he and his wife mow a large yard about every three days. They only take off a little at a time and mulch it all. They get yard of the month every year.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
The RX 75 might be a better choice. I had one (two actually, one for parts) - and they are a little older and not as fancy.

You might want to check out Snappers, as well. The main problem with the JD **75 series (or any JD RER) is the availability of parts. They just aren't out there. JD got out of RER's a long time ago, and your parts quests will end you in much frustratioin.

Snapper, on the other hand, still has parts available for virtually every RER it's ever built (WELL over 25 years' worth). As my avatar suggests, I am a BIG fan. :biggrin:

LandN

Threads
as far as new mowers a snapper would also be my first choice of a rer but if the price of it seems high then check out a craftsman rer i believe they have 2 models their higher end model looks a lot like snapper and with proper maintenance it should last a long time especially on a smaller yard with less run time,for the diy'er and tinkerers any older used rers would work

Black Bart

Threads
I've got a JD L111 20hp tractor style mower. We moved about 3 yrs ago and have a lot smaller yard. Smaller yet after a garage add on. I really don't need this large of a mower anymore, but would still like to have a rider of some kind. I'd like to find a used rear engine style to take it's place. I've seen some JD SX75's for sale occasionally. But when I do a search on the 75 usually all I see are people asking how to fix a problem on theirs. Is the SX75 one to stay away from? Is the 85/95 a better mower? I don't necessarily have to stick w/JD, but we have had a lot of JD farm equip and mowers over the years, so I do like the products. Or, is there another rear engine rider that seems to stand out? Thanks. Greg
I don't see how you would be any better off you will take longer to mow and not have any more maneuverability than what you have now.

Buy a small ZTR it will turn waaaaay better than the SX75

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Black Bart said:
I don't see how you would be any better off you will take longer to mow and not have any more maneuverability than what you have now.

Buy a small ZTR it will turn waaaaay better than the SX75

....and make sure it costs at least 10grand. Some people just don't get it. :rolleyes:

Sent from my WX445 using LMF

GregU

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have maybe a short acre to mow, and I really don't think that's a lot to mow with a self propelled mower. But after 10 hrs of factory work, it's 95 degrees, sometimes I just don't feel like like walking it, you know! If I can just sit there and relax, I don't mind going from a 42" deck down to a 30". I've had several small Dixon ZTR's, and I loved them. I've had Cub and JD riders. I'd gladly take another Dixon, but they hold their value REAL well around here, and they're hard to find used, and I'm not going to buy a new one. That's why I was considering a rear engine rider, I could buy a couple from what I can get out of the JD tractor. I'm just considering options. Greg

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
For that small of a yard, the SX75 might be a good mower that'll last a long time. Watch out for the Kawasaki carbs, though. They are failing regularly (they ARE old) and they are a pain to fix. To remove the float, the pin must be driven out with a punch (with a block under the other side). They don't come apart as easy as a Tec/B&S does.

Also, it probably has the variable pulley drive system, instead of a regular transaxle (the transaxle is only for FWD/REV and diff). This pulley fails regularly on these things, especially with much use on it. The pulleys are still available, but if you get the 75, I'd get a pulley ($110) just to have on hand in case they decide that's as obsolete as the rest of the parts are. :frown:

The RX/SX 75 is one of the most comfortable RER's I've ever come across, though. Kicks my Snapper's butt on comfort and ergonomics. There really is no substitute for a good, comfy JD seat. They are also incredibly quiet. If the dealer treats you right, and you can get it for a good price, I'd seriously consider it. That's assuming it's in good shape.