Carburetor Rebuild

panabiker

Threads
I am trying to rebuild a carburetor on a B&S 18hp engine. The overhaul kit from B&S contains a new needle valve and a new brass sleeve which the needle is supposed to go in. However, I am not sure how I should remove the old sleeve from the carb body. Here is a picture.
carb-1.JPG
If I can't remove it, I might just replace the needle and use the old sleeve.
By the way, I posted my original problem with fuel flood and I thought I had resolved it by cleaning the carb. Now, it started leaking again, so I feel an overhaul with new needle valve is necessary.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
you usually tap a thread....then get the right sized bolt and use the right sized socket....put the bolt thru the socket....i think i used a 6-32 or 8-32 last time...something in that range.................................theres another thing you can do....but it takes some work...ive used an eraser head trimmed down to fit the seat [ you can use the new one to match it] and some rubbing compound and work it back and forth to polish the seat....then you use carb cleaner to back wash it so nothing goes into the carb :smile:

Attachments

• IMG_0916[1].jpg
    IMG_0916[1].jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 16

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
also....if you're going to extract it i would get a bowl of cold water with ice cubes and drop the carb in there for 10 minutes to contract the metal so its easier to remove

panabiker

Threads
Thanks reddragon. I'll try the eraser polishing rather than removing the sleeve.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
i use those little vinyl white ones...they dont crumble like the red ones :thumbsup:.....what ever COMPOUND you use....make sure it has grit in it....thats whats really doing the work

Last edited:

panabiker

Threads
Well, it's not very easy to reduce the size of the eraser (mine is light green) so I ended up using Q-tips with metal polishing compound. The inside of the brass sleeve became quite shiny when done. I put everything together and the engine ran perfectly. Since I also installed the fuel cut-off valve, I won't find out if I really fixed the leak problem but that's fine.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
GOOD TO HEAR....hope it fixes it :thumbsup: