20 hp runs bad

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi. I have a 1998 20 hp Briggs ran fine I hit a tree it started to pop out of the carb I rebuilt carb ran fine for a few hours now wants to stall when blades are on pulled Plugs they both had black dry carbon on them. Oh and before carb rebuild would only run on full choke. Thank you for any help

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi. I have a 1998 20 hp Briggs ran fine I hit a tree it started to pop out of the carb I rebuilt carb ran fine for a few hours now wants to stall when blades are on pulled Plugs they both had black dry carbon on them. Oh and before carb rebuild would only run on full choke. Thank you for any help

If you had to run with the choke on I sure could understand the black carbon on the plugs. As far as hitting a tree you how did you hit it? If with the blades maybe you sheered the flywheel key? If you got a lot of carbon on the plugs replaceing them would be a good starting point.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Put new plugs in ran fine for about 3 hrs then started popping out carb again and plugs are carbon fouled again Choke full off like should be. Hit tree with front of mower I was looking at someone and the tree just hit me

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I cut around 50 yards a week and have hit plenty of things to stop my blades and brake a spindle so I will pull my flywheel now

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Put new plugs in ran fine for about 3 hrs then started popping out carb again and plugs are carbon fouled again Choke full off like should be. Hit tree with front of mower I was looking at someone and the tree just hit me

By just hitting tree you should be OK with the flywheel key, what wouldn't give a hard hit to the engine. If you are still getting a lot of carbon on the plugs it sounds like you may still have a carburetor or air filter problem. Did you set the float level, check the float, replace the needle and seat when you did the carburetor overhaul? Did you replace the air filter? Just some things to check.