my fix to overheating tractor

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi grass people, Against my better judgement I bought a home with 1 1/2 acres of grass about 7 years ago, and innocently bought a Craftsman YTD 4000 48" lawn tractor. As a maintenance freak with cars I thought careful oil changes etc would hold me in good stead... what an education! Anyway I finally put an oil cooler and fan along with oil temp and oil pressure gages on the beast. I wonder if anyone would be interested in how? Otherwise I'll just read the forum. Regards Motoman

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi grass people, Against my better judgement I bought a home with 1 1/2 acres of grass about 7 years ago, and innocently bought a Craftsman YTD 4000 48" lawn tractor. As a maintenance freak with cars I thought careful oil changes etc would hold me in good stead... what an education! Anyway I finally put an oil cooler and fan along with oil temp and oil pressure gages on the beast. I wonder if anyone would be interested in how? Otherwise I'll just read the forum. Regards Motoman

Welcome to the forum, We sure would be interested seeing that is what this forum is all about.:smile:

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Absolutely, by all means. Post some photos please, I need a visual aid..:cool:

Black Bart

Threads
The past 30 years I have used water cooled mowers to do my mowing but this spring I bought a air cooled mower and I have been thinking about installing a oil cooler on it.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there - WELCOME to LMF!

I moved your thread to the General Mower Discussion Forum. :smile:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Absolutely, by all means. Post some photos please, I need a visual aid..:cool:

Hi Robert, I am trying to learn how to load pics. But the larger frustration is my long winded story which apparently will not fit the allowed space. I was cut off yesterday, and may have to tell it in segments. I guess I thought this forum would allow large explanations like car forums. Motoman

benski

Threads
The installment method is okay, just cumbersome.:biggrin: Had you switched to synthetic oil before you went to the effort of these upgrades?

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads

Briana, Help. AM I too long winded for this site. To show and tell I need more text space than I have been able to get here. Cut off twice yesterday before I finished. Also few will be able to visualize my fix without close-up pics. Tx Motoman

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The installment method is okay, just cumbersome.:biggrin: Had you switched to synthetic oil before you went to the effort of these upgrades?

Benski, Unless you can tell me of superior cooling with synthetic I do not see how that would have helped. Was using 10w30. The only damage to the engine (besides the cam) was a pushed valve guide which I attribute to overheating of the al head and /or max tolerances of components vs over heat. Motoman

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads

Briana, Sorry to bug you again, but the first installment of the story is still in the "modification" section . Can you move it to the "General..." also so the installments can be in one place? Tx motoman PS look for "Cooling hot INTEK"