Shorter pull string on a craftsman

beesnroses32

Threads
I tore my rotor cuff a while back. I want to put a shorter pull start cord on my craftsman so I don't have to torque so hard on my shoulder. Its this realistic to do and still have the mower be able to be started? Its a Craftsman 5.5 HP 22" Briggs & Stratton deck 2-N-1 mulch-side discharge.

rekees

Threads
The amount of torque would be the same regardless of the length of the cord? Wouldn't a shorter cord cause slower rotation of the engine making the mower harder to start? Maybe a new key start mower would be the answer?

mamaA

Threads
Ouch. That makes my shoulder hurt just thinking about pulling a start string with an injury like that. I don't know the answer but wanted to say you may want to consider something without a pull.

beesnroses32

Threads
I really hate to buy a new mower. This one isn't that old. By torque I mean how I have to turn my shoulder to get the thing started. Would it cause slower rotation of the engine?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Shortening the rope is NOT going to help you...
You can demonstrate this yourself with the rope length you now have...
Pull half the length out, tie a temporary handle at the mid point of the rope affectively shortening it to half length. Now try to start it... Most likely will not start because the first full turn is the slowest and successive turns increase the speed the engine is turning... slow is not going to reliably start it... KennyV

beesnroses32

Threads
That is an absolutely brilliant test. I should have thought of that. However, I am a bit disappointed now. Guess I will have to look for an alternative until then.

Papaw50

Threads
I have used a power drill, with a deep socket.
With the flywheel cover removed, attach the socket to the flywheel nut and run the drill in reverse (at least I think it was reverse)

Anyway, be prepared for a possible kickback (control the drill)

If using a cordless drill, a 18 volt or bigger probably works best (more torque)

Good luck,
Gary

a.palmer jr.

Threads
It would be great if they made lawnmowers like they make snowblowers (maybe they do) with the electric start without having a battery, you just plug it in to the electric outlet and push the button and it starts. The last lawnmower I looked at still had a battery though.