Cleaning lawnmower deck

luggage

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently purchased a Husqvarna LGT24k54 with a 54" deck and having some difficulty being able to keep the underside of the deck clear of clogs of grass and dirt. That water cleaning gizmo is crap. I previously had a snapper which was easy since I could just stand it on its end. I love the Husky but it seems to attract more clogs of grass of dirt and grass than the snapper. I read about the mojack but it is a little expensive. The car ramp stands seems a little less stable. Anyone have an alternative that is safe and a little less expensive than $200.00 with shipping

mullins87

Threads
I have a MoJack and love it. And I also tried to keep the underside of the deck clean. But I've since given up. I've found that the grass will build up a little bit and not any more on the deck I have now, so I don't worry about it.

Tater

Threads
I have no problem with my expensive setup... A 1" poly rope around a good sized limb, and one of those el-checpo $20 cable comealongs on my 89 mod. 60" wheel Horse zero, or my 61" Husky zero...
That's how I change blades and clean out the underside of the deck...
The rope has been in the tree for over 20 yrs., so before I do anything under a mower I jump up & down on it to make sure everything in goin to hold...lol...
Have a good one...Tater...

Tater

Threads
That water cleaning gizmo is crap.
Are those hose hook ups not any good...??? I have been thinking about adding those to my deck, so you are saying they don't seem to work too good...???
Thanks and have a good one...Tater...

Black Bart

Threads
Are those hose hook ups not any good...??? I have been thinking about adding those to my deck, so you are saying they don't seem to work too good...???
Thanks and have a good one...Tater...
I think how well the wash out port works depends on the mower deck and how it moves air through it.

My John Deere Z Trak with 54" deck cleans out good but it has very little to clean because it blows the grass out instead of sticking to the deck.

ingigo

Threads
I know labor is not fun but, REMOVE THE DECK and scrape away the compacted grass off the deck with a plastic drywall putty knife.
You may need a big screwdriver are a metal putty knife also. That grass is acidic and eats away at your deck. I have not tried a pressure washer yet, has anyone here?
Then oil the bare metal. I want to try to paint graphite on the bottom of the deck for this year, and yes those in deck cleaners suck, but they are better than nothing if you turn the deck on to assist in the cleaning and are late for dinner or MacGyver reruns.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Clogging on most decks is the result of cutting when you either have a lush, thick lawn or are cutting when the grass is too wet. Moisture in the grass causes it to stick to what ever it comes into contact with. That being said, I use a floor jack to raise the front of the tractor and then lay on a nice piece of carpet to get under with a putty knife. To some this may not be the easiest way to do it, but has worked for me for over 30 years.

ingigo

Threads
Does anyone paint or use something the bottom of their deck for less grass sticking?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When I do a refurbishment I do the underside of decks with 2 coats of POR 15 Chassis guard.
After 7 days bullets bounce off it.
Some decks I did 3 years ago still have the POR 15 intact.
Both above the deck & below the deck.
However is done above the deck you must top coat it with a heavy enamel as it is not UV stable.
Downside is it is a long process and if not carried out exactly as instructed it will peel off.

As for pressure washers, not a good idea.
The water will get inside the spindle housing and cause premature bearing failure.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And Taters cleanng method will work with almost any tractor type mower.It is not a particularly good idea with ZTR's because the engines are mounted the other way round and you end up with oil everywhere where it should not be.
So for them it is up on some ramps and flat on yer back with the plastic puttey knife.