Cleaning lawnmower deck

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
50 degree difference is more than enough to cause that issue so no you don't have to replace bearings if they're hot. Rapid cooling is all that is needed.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Actual numbers is what is needed then and not " I think it feels hot ".

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The spindles only need to be at a higher temp than ambient and as they cool normally or quicker from water, they will suck in moisture.
My Ingersoll GTs have sealed bearings on the deck spindles and they get moisture in the spindle housing between the bearings. I have installed grease fittings so I can pump in grease to fill up the void space between the bearings. I stop pumping when I feel the slightest amount of resistance on the grease gun. This grease fills the void and reduces the intrusion of moisture. I never power wash or use water under the decks. I also replace these bearings at 500 hour intervals.
Both my Scag Tiger Cub and Hustler X-ONE have tapered roller bearings in the spindles and are greased every 50 hours or so.
The collection blower bearings on my Scag get greased every 8-10 hours and the inner bearing gets hot to the point of thinning the grease to a liquid, that is hot!

Last edited:

vigibill

Forum Newbie
Threads
I installed a 800lb electric hoist in my garage to raise the front end high enough for easy access to underside of deck. Works for me and my 76 yr. old bones.

neetan

Threads
I use a hoist(from TSC)to lift the deck, then I scrap the deck with plastic scraper. After which I coat underside with Oil. The oil is what retrieve from oil changes, paint it on the deck. I have used the trick on a John deere for 14 years and it was awesome. Since I am sure you all (EH!) Change your own Oil. I Ideas that are easy are usually the best. I wipe the machine with the oil, I do the deck and and the ROPS. If you ever have a chance try it, oil will not allow the rust to work thru, Just recoat often.

primerbulb120

Threads
I use a G6 Gator blade on my Honda 21" and I've never cleaned under the deck unless I was mowing thick grass in the rain. :laughing: The blade has so much lift that it blasts the clippings and debris off the bottom of the deck, especially when I'm mowing a sandy yard.

Lawn Addict
Threads
For Riders, Z or tractor, I always make sure the deck has the correct slope to the front, this keeps my deck way cleaner. I have mine set for 1/8" fall to front.

And for any other grass, I use my ramps, I keep in back under my deck, which is where I finish mowing. It's really like a pit stop, once you have your routine down.