Cleaning lawnmower deck

ingigo

Threads
I heard of using graphite paint under the deck as a finish coat to help the grass not stick as easy. Any validity to this?

sjm1027

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have been using the hose port on the Accel 42" Deep Deck but was told that using this port would cause problems with the spindle housing at some point. Has anyone had this problem? Not sure what to do now. Just leave it after each cut and each month clean it by scraping or chance the spindle housing issue and assume John Deere wouldn't add this feature if it was going to cause problems. What do others think?
Thanks

ingigo

Threads
well about time to take the deck off and clean the spindle to look for wear. Do your spindles have grease ports? If so LOAD them up, it gets hot and a high temp grease helps a lot when that cold water hits it after a long mow. To protect the spindle just paint it well every year or apply oil. oil and aqua do not mix!

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Nothing works better than compressed air. Get a good air compressor with a blow nozel add a length of tubing to the end and blow it out. Wet grass under a deck stays wet and rots your deck. The wash port doesn't work as well as manufactures claim... Remember we are now a throw away and replace nation . As long as it exceeds their warranty most manufactures feel they done their job. That changes a little when you step up to commercial equipment. I have many items on my trailer with 5 year commercial warranty on them .

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Clogging on most decks is the result of cutting when you either have a lush, thick lawn or are cutting when the grass is too wet. Moisture in the grass causes it to stick to what ever it comes into contact with. That being said, I use a floor jack to raise the front of the tractor and then lay on a nice piece of carpet to get under with a putty knife. To some this may not be the easiest way to do it, but has worked for me for over 30 years.

Best way! I do the same except I have a WB. I simply lift it myself and place a log, cinder block, jack stand, etc. and start scrapping.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check this out ....... under $100.00 ....... My neighbor has one, ... got with a 25% off coupon too !
I use it all the time , safe ,easy to use and comes apart for storage too !

http://www.harborfreight.com/high-lift-riding-lawn-mower-atv-lift-62325.html

They have 3 or 4 different model numbers so if they don't have 1 check the others.

Yes, we loan tools back and forth, it's NOT a one-way thing !! .....:cool2:

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have been using the hose port on the Accel 42" Deep Deck but was told that using this port would cause problems with the spindle housing at some point. Has anyone had this problem? Not sure what to do now. Just leave it after each cut and each month clean it by scraping or chance the spindle housing issue and assume John Deere wouldn't add this feature if it was going to cause problems. What do others think?
Thanks

Well imo, mower Mfgrs makes spindles & like to make money, so I NEVER use that water port. Doing so on hot spindles is like inviting water to enter the spindles.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks

OK so let me explain what happens when cold water meets hot spindle. The metal cools very quickly. That in turn creates low pressure inside the spindle which in turn sucked anything outside the spindle to the inside of the spindle. Now that can be dirt, grass, or water. None of which is good for a spindle. So if you are going to use the wash port let your mower spindle cool off for at least an hour before you use water. Then when done cleaning deck move mower to dry spot either in yard or on driveway and run for 20 min until underneath is completely dry.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the bearings are that HOT, whatever temperature is considered HOT, replace the bearings.