Tire air leak in Murray 30" riding mower

dirt_dobber

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am having a consistent front tire air leak in my Murray 30" riding mower. There are no apparent holes or valve stem leak and it appears to be leaking at the rim, it is not bent in any way it just loses about 5lbs pressure overnight. The side of tire says 14psi.

4 year old tires in great shape.

What are possible solutions?
Would a can of "stop leak" work or what?

oldyellr

Threads
Just put a tube in it. But be forewarned, that's easier said than done. You need a couple of sturdy tire irons and maybe a couple more motorcycle ones to help and a way to hold the little wheel while working on it and lots of practice changing tires. Don't be surprised if the bead on the rim gets damaged and has to be straightened out. I've spent frustrating hours on that. I suppose you could also find a shop that has the equipment and experience to deal with small lawnmower rims.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am having a consistent front tire air leak in my Murray 30" riding mower. There are no apparent holes or valve stem leak and it appears to be leaking at the rim, it is not bent in any way it just loses about 5lbs pressure overnight. The side of tire says 14psi.

Tire goop does work good, but the only trouble is if it has to be changed at a later date, sure makes a mess. If you have your tires changed they might even charge you more with the tire goop in them. Myself I like to install a inner tube.

dirt_dobber

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replies
I will give a tube a try this weekend.

benski

Threads
For me, the wrestling match isn't worth it. The $26.00 that my local tire store will install a tube for is a good value for me. They don't bother to balance it, for obvious reasons.:laughing: In addition, the tire stores hate dealing with tire goo.:wink::eek:

CJRussell

Forum Newbie
Threads
I agree on the tube idea and did install them myself. Some wrestling involved. Then I followed up with slime and have been 3 years with no flats. Even thorn holes will seal up.

LandN

Threads

if you suspect the tire bead is leaking at the rim,then make a soap/water solution in a spray bottle and while the tire is fully inflated spray around the bead on both sides and look very carefully for signs of escaping air bubbles. if it is leaking there, then pick up a can of..'TECH'.. brand tire bead sealer(or something equivalent) and brush the compound around the steel rim where the tire seats and your troubles are gone. if the running surface of the tire is punctured, i would disassemble the tire/rim and patch the hole.(finding a hole in the running surface is same as the rim procedure). run your hand around the INSIDE of the tire to make sure it is free of thorns etc,even if you decide to tube it. goops and such are a hit or miss thing.patching and bead sealing (when done correct) is 100% reliable. don't forget to check the valve core.air CAN travel through tire construction and leak air elsewhere around the tire in addition to an obvious hole.

oldyellr

Threads
Good advice, LandN. In my experience, the leak is usually around the base of the valve stem, where it rusts. While tubeless tires may have been the greatest invention since sliced bread, they're a PITA on mowers that run relatively low tire pressures and don't get the same maintenance as the family car.

Threads
:wink: I had the same problem on old rider, I just put that green slimy stuff,:wink:best thing I did, I have had some screws and nails in them just pulled them out and didnt lose much air:thumbsup: Make sure you put enough in the tire and roll it around a little after putting it in, I put a little extra :biggrin: I dont think I will ever wear out tire and it saves a lot of work putting air in tires before using every time:thumbsup:

oldyellr

Threads
On mowers I usually just put in a tube. However it's a lot of hard work with those small diameter rims. I've used Slime in car tires as a last resort because if you get another puncture no tire place will touch it and it's junk.