murray tractor smoking.

sean'sengines

Threads
Well, I picked up a 1995 Murray Hydro/Auto lawn tractor with a 42" deck and a 14.5hp Briggs OHV engine for $75!!!! The guy I bought it from said that it had been quoted to him $200-300 for a carb rebuild on it.

Well I knew that was bull, so I bought it and put $7 worth of parts into it. It runs awesome now. Except when you full throttle it very quickly. If you do that, it belts smoke out the exhaust pipe. I changed the oil in it, and the smoke isn't blue. It isn't burning any oil. The smoke is gray/black. Almost like diesel smoke. So is it just carbon burning off the head or is it something else I should be worried about? It won't do it if you raise the engine speed gradually. And it doesn't bog down when your mowing. It runs just fine. It did sit in the guys shed for about 3-4 years after it didn't run well due to carb issues (which I fixed.)

Attachments

• 100_2145.jpg
    100_2145.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 10

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
black smoke means running rich. Air filter system pluged, choke, high speed air adjustment, missed something in carburetor with over haul ?

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
turn your idle screw down and see if it clears up.........not the idle stop one

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
if your choke and throttle is on the same lever......make sure the choke isnt coming on too early....have someone sit in it and you go look at the throttle mechanism as they reproduce the symptom

sean'sengines

Threads
yup. I think it may be a screw adjustment issue. The choke is fine, I guess it's either the high speed air adjustment screw or the idle screw. You mean the idle screw that DOESN'T touch the throttle right?

This has a newer style electronic diode fuel bowl system, so there is no screw on the bottom. Therefore I can't adjust the mixture.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
yes thats right...if you have a high speed screw try that......i had the same problem with a 18.5 briggs

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey seansengine,

I moved your thread to the newly opened, Murray Forum. :smile: Check it out...