John Deere 320 lawn tractor has loss of power

nate81

Threads
First, i'm new here, thanks for having me! (i hope you'll have me;)

I'm having some minor troubles with my old trusty John Deere 320 lawn tractor...heres the details...

Mower will start up normally, but when given full throttle, there isn't nearly as much power as there should be. There is enough power to run the blades when engaged, but still, not like it should be. Mower did this about a month ago, and I replaced the plugs...problem went away. I cut grass 7 days ago, and everythign was fine....today, i tried to cut and the power loss is back.

Here is what i've done....

1. replaced both spark plugs (last week)
2. clean all air filters (there is a mesh filter over the radiator and another standard filter inside)
3. lowered the deck and made sure there was no grass around spindles
4. pulled off the gas filter and looked at it...lol, seemed to be ok to me, just a few small minor peices of junk on the filter side.
5. added more gasoline, the gas was purchased maybe 2-3 weeks ago
6. coolant levels and oil levels are where they should be (although i did NOT change the oil this season, i know, i know...don't hit me too hard plz)

and i think thats it, right now i've called it an evening as i work outdoors in the heat and needed to take a break from the mower for the evening. I will be thinking about what else i can do and report it here when i do it, which will probably be after work tommorow!

Again, thanks for having me and I look forward to your responses!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Why would you not change the fuel filter? They are cheap insurance. That would be one of the first things I would change for no high speed power. The next thing would be to check the carburetor for dirt in it. I change all filters on every oil change mine or customers.

nate81

Threads
Why would you not change the fuel filter? They are cheap insurance. That would be one of the first things I would change for no high speed power. The next thing would be to check the carburetor for dirt in it. I change all filters on every oil change mine or customers.

I will pick up a new fuel filter today on my way home and replace that, wasn't aware of the cost and how often they should be replaced, thanks for the tip!
I have pulled the hood off and the firewall/skid plate on the front, i can see the carb, but this is really what I was afraid off...carburetors scare me!

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
dont be scared....just be very clean with carbs :smile:

nate81

Threads
dont be scared....just be very clean with carbs :smile:

I cannot find the carb lol...i see the throttle cable...and can follow it down front, not sure where the carb actually is....a google search doesnt do any good for me, I cant find a diagram or anything

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
GIVE US THE NUMBERS OFF THE ENGINE......AND THE MOWER..AND WE CAN NARROW SOME THINGS DOWN :smile:

nate81

Threads
I found this.... "Liquid cooled v-twin OHV FD590v"
its a john deere 320

i just took a few shoddy photos of the engine if it helps...

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
YEAH...GO HEAD AND ATTACH THEM TO THIS POST :thumbsup:

nate81

Threads
I bought the gas at some old country store in the middle of nowhere, i wonder if it could be cheap gas? is it worth it to drain it all out, (full tank) and dispose of it and get new gas from elsewhere?