John Deere 320 lawn tractor has loss of power

nate81

Threads
Fresh gas is good but you don't need premium in fact it will probably run better on 87 octane.

Mower engines are low compression and putting premium in them is like throwing beef steak to the hogs total waste of money.

87 is regular unleaded gasoline right? the cheapest one? Do you think some gas stations offer better quality gasoline than others and this was my problem?

Black Bart

Threads
87 is regular unleaded gasoline right? the cheapest one? Do you think some gas stations offer better quality gasoline than others and this was my problem?
If the pump says 87 then it is 87 regardless of brand.

The difference is the top tier gas has some additives that the cheap stuff don't.

I buy gas for my mower and before I put the gas in the can I add a little Carb Cleaner and in the fall I add Stabil this will keep it from getting stale while parked all winter.

Number one problem with mowers is carburetor problems, I have never had a carb problem the gum that collects in them can be prevented by using carb cleaner.

I still have my doubts that you have found your problem I think it may return.

Bad fuel don't run poor one day and good the next, You may have got some bad fuel but it sounds like it still may have problems.

TIME WILL TELL

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
did you check that throttle linkage to see if it was loose?

nate81

Threads
If the pump says 87 then it is 87 regardless of brand.

The difference is the top tier gas has some additives that the cheap stuff don't.

I buy gas for my mower and before I put the gas in the can I add a little Carb Cleaner and in the fall I add Stabil this will keep it from getting stale while parked all winter.

Number one problem with mowers is carburetor problems, I have never had a carb problem the gum that collects in them can be prevented by using carb cleaner.

I still have my doubts that you have found your problem I think it may return.

Bad fuel don't run poor one day and good the next, You may have got some bad fuel but it sounds like it still may have problems.

TIME WILL TELL

I siphoned out all the old fuel and replaced it with new high octane fuel from a different gas station...just to clarify :), but in the back of my mind, i kind of agree with you...i think the problem may return...

did you check that throttle linkage to see if it was loose?

throttle linkage seemed ok to me, my brother mentioned that he though the carb wasn't opening fully and that it was 'choking' the engine out...

nate81

Threads
I hate to beat a dead horse but....
the problem w/ my mower is still hanging around. I'm able to crank it up and run it like usual, but something isn't right...seems to 'struggle' still for power....I've noticed some extra oil collecting around the engine...I'm wondering if a gasket could have blown out? I called the dealer which is 9 miles from me, and they said they would charge $45 round trip to get the mower from my house to their shop and then a non-refundable $80 diagnostic charge that would be applied to any work i would get done on it. I'm thinking about just biting the bullet on this one to ensure that I get some more time out of my mower....its got 502 hours....how many more can I expect to get from this model?

nate81

Threads
This is just for anyone that may google this problem in the future....

I had the dealer pick up my mower this week to asses the problem, this is what was found...

A spark plug was bad. It was misfiring which caused the smoke and the lack of power. When I told them that I replaced the plugs, the only answer that seemed reasonable was that I purchased a bad plug.

Here are the other things they found wrong that I had fixed while it was there...

Clutch was about to go...i had that replaced.
Two spindles were replaced.

So, when I got it back last night, it runs so smooth now, and boy it sure is nice and quiet running!

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
its good to hear your back in business.....but thats an odd one.....similar things have happened here ...but after a week or two the problem crops back up....lets hope thats not the case:wink:

nate81

Threads
its good to hear your back in business.....but thats an odd one.....similar things have happened here ...but after a week or two the problem crops back up....lets hope thats not the case:wink:

Well, I paid $500 to john deere to get them to fix my problem.....i hope if it crops back up...its within the next 30 days so I can get them to fix it right for free...

Kirkwood

Forum Newbie
Threads
To all who suggested ignition coil....Thank you.

John Deere X500 would start and run fine for a half hour or so and then lose power. Tried all the usual stuff, plugs, new gas, carb spray, gas filter, spindles, air cleaner, etc. After reading the posts by others with the same problem I ordered two new coils and installed them. Could've gotten by with one but didn't want to do this over any time soon. It was an easy install. Mower runs like new. Thanks again