John Deere 320 lawn tractor has loss of power

Black Bart

Threads
I had this problem 2-3 weeks ago, and found out it was the plugs, so i put new ones in and it ran great! and then this past weekend when i tried to mow the yard, it was doing it again...I cannot recall if its since i put the gas in or not...but no, i didnt put any of the gas in my car...i only use name brand for my vehicles :D
Sounds like the plugs was not the problem it just happened to run better after you replaced them.

If it runs ok until it heats up good it could be a coil breaking down.

As already suggested check the spark when it is running poor.

Poor or weak spark shows up as a miss under a load and not low power.
Does it miss when you say it lacks power.

nate81

Threads
So i can pull the wires off the spark plugs while its running?

It doesnt have power from startup...no need to wait for it to heat up....i can crank it up fine, and then go to full throttle and it just doesnt have the power it normally does, it still has enough to activate the blades, but still, not quite the 'kick' it normally has. when i try to drive it at full speed, its maybe 50% speed

Black Bart

Threads
So i can pull the wires off the spark plugs while its running?

It doesnt have power from startup...no need to wait for it to heat up....i can crank it up fine, and then go to full throttle and it just doesnt have the power it normally does, it still has enough to activate the blades, but still, not quite the 'kick' it normally has. when i try to drive it at full speed, its maybe 50% speed
The way you describe this I'm not sure what the symptoms are.

When you say 50 percent do you mean it only revs to half normal speed or has half normal power.

If you pull a plug wire when it is running I would use a special pair of pliers designed for that or you may get a shock

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
im a little confused too...does it bog down mowing or is it just an rpm drop or ?......give us a scenario

nate81

Threads
the mower is lacking power...when the throttle is all the way up (full throttle) its not getting enough rpms....its not an rpm drop, it just doesnt get up enough rpms

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
ok....i see......the picture you gave us that shows the front of the engine?.....the cable looks loose in its clamp....check that first.......especially if its the throttle :smile:

Black Bart

Threads
the mower is lacking power...when the throttle is all the way up (full throttle) its not getting enough rpms....its not an rpm drop, it just doesnt get up enough rpms
Check to see if throttle cable has slipped or governor spring has broke.

Take your hand and open the throttle linkage by hand and see if it revs then.
It may be running on 1 cylinder if I had it in my shop I bet I could find the problem in a few minutes just can't decide what is going on from the description.

Black Bart

Threads
ok....i see......the picture you gave us that shows the front of the engine?.....the cable looks loose in its clamp....check that first.......especially if its the throttle :smile:

PICTURE What picture how the **** did i not see the picture :eek:

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
did you see it?.....it looks wonky.......doesnt it?