John Deere L120 stopped cutting -now won't start

mjwillyone

Forum Newbie
Threads
Friends,

I have a John Deere L120 that I purchased about 8 years ago from Home Depot. Today it suddenly stopped while cutting. The oil was fine. The air filter fine. The 20AMP fuse was blown by the battery. I replaced it and the engine turned a bit (not what I would call cranking) and then blew another fuse. I waited for about three hours, put in a new fuse, and tried again. The engine moved a bit, then I tried three more times. Then the fuse blew again.

I could easily turn the blade pulleys. I can also turn the large pulley directly under the engine.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
Mike

noma

Threads
Mjwillyone

Hi i think you got a short in one of your wires if it keeps blowing fuses, check all wires and see if you see any bare wire or connector or where the bare wire have rubbed against the metal some where to short it out. It could be a safety wire to. I think you might have to charge the battery if that wire is still draining your battery, try charging battery first and see if that does it. Check you battery and see if you have 12 volt there? Good luck and welcome aboard just ideas

mjwillyone

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just a quick question.. If the motor seized up, would I be able to turn the large pulley found directly under the motor?

Also, when I attempt to start it, it seems like it turns a bit then hits something. It doesn't turn full circle...Could the starter be the problem?

Mike

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Depends on the pulley... there are a few 'under' there...
Remove the spark plug, is the piston moving?

Your problem could be the drive belt(s) ... could be a broke rod could be a lot of things... (Well a lot but definitely should not be the air filter)...

Remove the belts and spark plug ... see what happens when you turn the engine (by hand)... :smile:KennyV

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there - WELCOME to LMF!

I moved your thread to the John Deere Forum. :smile:

mullins87

Threads
Just a quick question.. If the motor seized up, would I be able to turn the large pulley found directly under the motor?

Also, when I attempt to start it, it seems like it turns a bit then hits something. It doesn't turn full circle...Could the starter be the problem?

Mike

The large pulley under the motor is the electric PTO that drives the mower deck. It is probably a little difficult to turn by hand, but it should turn. Pull the spark plugs and try to turn the round debris screen on top of the motor. With the plugs out, it should spin rather freely.