Series 7000 "Low oil Pressure" message and stall

It ain't no Briggs

Forum Newbie
Threads
My mower is less than 2 years old and has 32 hrs on it. When 1/2 way through cutting the yard last weekend, the engine (Kohler 7000 series) began stuttering and died - as if it was starving for fuel but still had a half tank. The LCD display message center was flashing LOW OIL PRESSURE as it was stalling. I checked the oil level and it was at the FULL mark and was barely tinted. Started it back up and it idled fine so I went back to cutting grass for a couple of minutes before it stalled again - with the same message displayed as it was dying, so I quit trying and put it away.
I thought maybe the filter was restricted so I bought the right Kohler filter & Kohler oil and changed it today. Started up and ran fine until about 5 minutes into cutting grass and the same thing happened. From what I've read, there is no separate oil pressure sensor but rather just an oil level sensor or float switch. If that's correct, should I replace the float switch?
Or is it possibly a fuel starvation issue at high demand (cutting grass, not idling) and as it stalls, it develops a low oil pressure condition because it is at low RPS while stalling?
Thanks for your time.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Never seen a oil float switch on a kohler engine. Most have a oil pressure switch located next to the oil filter, or on some engines is located on the breather cover in between the cylinders. I could be the switch is giving wrong readings when the oil gets hot. the oil shutdown switch is normally triggered if the pressure drops below 5 psi.

It ain't no Briggs

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update:
The problem is causing the LOW OIL PRESSURE condition, not the other way around (stalling drops RPMs so can't produce oil pressure).
Drained the fuel tank and saw trash in the bottom by the pick up tube so I removed and flushed the tank, blew out all the lines from the fuel pump to the tank, and replaced the fuel filter. Idles fine but dies after a minute of higher fuel demand at mowing RPMs. Checked the filter after more than enough time to allow the pump to get fuel where it needed to be and discovered almost NO fuel in the filter.
So apparently, the fuel pump is bad. The engine gets enough fuel to idle but not enough for normal operating RPMs.
a Kohler fuel pump (which lasted just over a year) is $53 - $57 but the equivalent and identical looking pump for a Briggs & Stratton (part# 808656) is $16.
Of course, even Tractor Supply doesn't stock mower fuel pumps so I'll have to wait 'til Monday and go to a mower repair shop to pick up a pump.
I'll let you know something then.

It ain't no Briggs

Forum Newbie
Threads
Never seen a oil float switch on a kohler engine. Most have a oil pressure switch located next to the oil filter, or on some engines is located on the breather cover in between the cylinders. I could be the switch is giving wrong readings when the oil gets hot. the oil shutdown switch is normally triggered if the pressure drops below 5 psi.

The reason I questioned a float switch is because while searching for an answer, I came across Outdoorpowerinfo dot com/repairs/kohler_low_oil_shutdown.asp where I found pictures, diagrams, and instructions for replacing the float switch in the Kohler engine but it could be a different model. I would post the link but I'm a newbie here and not permitted yet.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Converted it to a real web address, and that is the magnum engine that they quit making several years ago. I suspect that was special application engine since it mounted in the drain hole.

It ain't no Briggs

Forum Newbie
Threads
Converted it to a real web address, and that is the magnum engine that they quit making several years ago. I suspect that was special application engine since it mounted in the drain hole.

Okay, thanks.
Picked up the fuel pump and will try that after work.

It ain't no Briggs

Forum Newbie
Threads
Replaced the fuel pump and it acts the same so it wasn't the pump (and yes, fuel is getting to the carb).
I removed the fuel shut off solenoid from the bottom of the fuel float bowl and found that the solenoid's rod moves freely. I put 12 volts to it and it retracted fully and quickly. I put my voltmeter on the wire connection for the solenoid and witnessed 12 volts when the key is turned on. Reassembled everything, tested, an got the same thing.
Could the coils be shutting down from heat generated after a minute of high RPMs?
I really don't think fuel vapor lock is possible because the fuel lines are right where they've been for over a year and there's no evidence of heat damage (blistering or softening). All fuel lines are flexible - no internal hardening or degradation.
Does anyone have any other suggestions?

It ain't no Briggs

Forum Newbie
Threads
Added 2 ounces of Sea Foam per gallon of gas and ran it at about 1/3 throttle for close to 2 hours with a fan on it then got on it and cut the yard without issue. Now I can quit thinking I should've bought a Briggs & Stratton.
Note to self - NEVER buy fuel with ethanol in it to use in small engines.

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
Added 2 ounces of Sea Foam per gallon of gas and ran it at about 1/3 throttle for close to 2 hours with a fan on it then got on it and cut the yard without issue. Now I can quit thinking I should've bought a Briggs & Stratton.
Note to self - NEVER buy fuel with ethanol in it to use in small engines.

Cool, & Seafoam works ....