John Deere L118 fuel flow

gfd63

Forum Newbie
Threads
Neighbors moved & left their JD L118 riding mower. I looked it over & it's not in bad shape. It needed a new starting coil, battery charged up fine. Got a new tune up kit for it oil,filter & plugs. Fresh gas in it started up & ran for about 10mins. It's not getting gas. Changed the fuel pump & still no change. The length of fuel line from the tank to the engine is somewhat to be desired. Getting some vacuum out of the OHV cover but not sure how much is needed to draw gas into the fuel pump all the way from the tank? Fuel line looks good, not dry rotted or has any cracks in it. Gas cap breather hole is clear.Vacuum tube is solid too? Anyone had any run ins with this type of issue before?
Thanks

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Fuel Flow Test
Equipment:
• Proper Fuel Container
Procedure:
M89106
1. Clamp fuel line (B) or turn off fuel shut-off valve, if
equipped, to prevent fuel flow.
2. Disconnect fuel line from carburetor (A) and place in
container (C).
3. Release clamp on fuel line (B) or turn on fuel shut-off
valve, if equipped.
4. Crank engine, fuel should flow freely into container (C).
5. Clamp line or close fuel shut-off valve to install fuel line
on carburetor (A).
6. Pour captured fuel into tank.
Results:
If fuel flow is slow, check the following:
• Replace fuel filter
• Check fuel lines, fuel pump, shut-off valve (if equipped),
fuel tank outlet, and fuel tank cap for restrictions

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 5

gfd63

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey Engine Man. I have a new fuel filter on it. I also replaced the section of tubing from the outlet side of the fuel filter with clear Tygon tubing temporarily to see the fuel flow. When I crank the engine the gas goes almost all the way up to the inlet of the fuel pump pump but it seems like there's not enough vacuum to pull it into the pump? I reckon I can shot gun the entire fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump run it above temporarily to see if it flows then?

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes you could run fuel from another tank to see it will run alright.....

gfd63

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well it turned out to be the fuel shut off solenoid. The pin on the post was stuck closed therefore not letting gas into the carb. Topknot it off cleaned it up, plugged the connector Black in turned the key it was real sluggish. After a bit it worked free but the plastic plug broke off. So needless to say, it’s back on & running w/o the fuel shutoff. Reckon it’s not a total show stopper? Thanks for weighing in on the subject Engine Man??
QUOTE=EngineMan;300249]Yes you could run fuel from another tank to see it will run alright.....[/QUOTE]

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good to know you have find the problem, you could if you wanted to replace any damage part, but that's up to you.:thumbsup: