Repairs new to lawn boys

green dream

Threads
i was given a 1979 lawn boy model 8670 serial no.8797485 and it is missing a few parts like the rear wheels and the blade and nut and stiffner it is also probably missing other parts as well i just don't know it yet. it is a 2 cycle,that's about all i know about it. it is different for sure. i would like to get it running but am having a hard time getting an owners manual or a repair manual. i was toldby lawn boy i hasd the wrong serial no. i checked it three time it is right. do i have to go to a vintage site to get a book on this mower. it has spark and i took the engine off to clean it to find any leaks. there was nothing major. the only thing i lost is the spring for the drive line it went into the grass and i haven't found it yet.

Teds

Threads
If you go here:

https://lookup3.toro.com/ttcgateway/acrobat/manuals/lball.html

You'll find the repair and service manuals for these fine machines. Read and study thoroughly. "Now" is probably not the time to tear it down, since we're into peak mowing season. But this winter might be.

PartsTree has the model breakdown and the part #s you'll need. Armed with these you can order parts online and rebuild the motor as far as you like. I have found these models actually fairly forgiving of tolerances, but it is very important that you read the manual and follow the disaasembly and reassembly procedures.

They aren't particularly difficult, but they are sometimes very peculiar and not at all intuitive. If you miss these because you are unaware or skip them out of laziness it will cause trouble guaranteed. I replaced all the needle bearings and crank seals, reed valve, found an old school carburetor and replaced all the gaskets, renewed the governor components, honed the cylinder, new rings etc etc, and it runs like a new mower. Lightweight and very powerful and a joy to use. Great mowers by a great American company.

green dream

Threads
looked it up and it helped a lot the next thing i need is the rear wheels and a blade and an owners manual. when i put my mower back together i found i was missing the spring for the drive shaft for the self propelled part. it has spark now as well. what woulde really be nice is an owners manual. oh well a little at a time. when i went on the lawn boy web site i gave them the serial no off the engine tag and it came back as not found. so where would i find the serial no for the engine? the one i got says 8797485 model8670

Last edited:

green dream

Threads
i also need a rewind starter the catch inside that holds the inside end of the spring is worn out and the rope is broken. i haven't been able to take the starter apart because i can't find no clips. where can i find a new or used one, and what shade of green is the lawn boy?

Russ2251

Threads
Serial number is optional and really is not needed.
With luck, Ebay is best bet for an owners manual.
In fact, there is one there NOW!!!

Attachments

• lawnboy 8670 manual.jpg
    lawnboy 8670 manual.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 9

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are your wheels worn out, or missing? Do you have a picture of what they would look like. I think I still have an oddball pair of Lawn Boy SP wheels, good shape, don't need. Shipping might be more than they are worth though.

green dream

Threads
the rear wheels are missing as is the blade and adaptor and nut. what color green is the mower it looks kinda like light green? is it a special green?

Teds

Threads
I think "Grabber Green" is one that a lot of folks use, Lawn-Boy used a different shade over the years, if you're picky you'll have to keep that in mind. Duplicolor makes one as well.

Wheels come up for bidding on that auction site. Thing to keep in mind here the mowers were so good they usually were run till the wheels practically fell off, it is almost always a problem with well-loved mowers. It's important to avoid wobble or the cut will be uneven. Usually this means new shoulder bolts too. In a pinch, used wheels can be reamed out and re-bushed. Somebody sells replacement wheel sets of 4, that aren't really "authentic" in appearance but they are a good value, maybe 40 or 50 dollars, delivered.