kohler cv 15s on john deere gt 225 stumped!

kentrx1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am usually pretty handy with small engines, but this kohler cv15s has me stumped. it was mowing fine, black smoke came out, and it cut off. smoke to me was indicative of a flooding condition. I did the basics of new plug, clean fuel, and it made no difference. Flywheel key intact as i pulled flywheel to verify. i was uncertain of coil, so i purchased a new kohler coil and installed with business card gap setting. still no start. I get backfiring, plug floods. I next removed carb, checked for trash, and checked to see if float was cutting gas off. I found some trash, cleaned, reassembled, and it cranked right up. ran smooth, ran it for a couple of minutes, then cut if off. Can not get it restarted. back to flooding and backfiring. Tried a new dry plug after i turned engine over a few times with plug removed and carb solenoid unplugged so no more fuel sucked in. I then shot starting fluid in after i installed new dry plug and still would not hit....only and occassional back fire. I am thinking maybe new carb or possible rebuild kit. the seat in the carb appears to be one that does not screw out, so i wonder if a new one is my best/only option or have i missed something? when it cranked and ran for a few minutes, no odd noises, popping, or anything unusual. i cut if off----it did not cut itself off. Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check your valves. May have dropped one.