Mower deck Honda HRC216 Steel Deck Rust Prevention

Threads
Hello everyone! I recently bought a gently used Honda HRC2162HXC commercial mower that wasn't used commercially and in great shape other than a few scratches. At 121 pounds it is a huge change from my 74 pound Lawnboy 10359C that I used steer with one hand around the smallest trees. This thing is a beast that requires both hands to operate and really takes some getting used to. You know it isn't a terrible mower (not a great mower either) but compared to the Honda commercial mower it really is just a boy. Anyway enough bad mower puns and on to my question about taking care of inside of the steel deck. When I first got the Honda, I gave it a good cleaning but noticed a bit of surface rust on the underside of the deck which I cleaned off with a wire brush. So does anyone have a way of keeping this rather expensive mower deck (which unfortunately is steel instead of cast aluminum) protected from rust? Do I paint it or coat it with something? Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanks - John:confused2:

oldyellr

Threads
You'll see surface rust on the underside of the deck of a brand new mower after the first time you use it! :smile:

Just keep it cleaned out and paint the underside with a rust-preventive paint at the end of the season and it should last a long time. Not sure if wire brushing the rust each time you see it won't actually make it rust through sooner.

Threads
Thanks for the responce oldyellr. I notice most of the rust at the base of a metal ring in the center of the deck where it is welded to the deck. Welding changes the properties of the steel at the weld so it usually rusts first. Painting is a good idea but in order for the paint to adhere best the surface should be cleaned of loose materials (dirt & grass) and rust and wiped with mineral spirits, primed with metal primer, then painted. I guess the old tried and true method of protecting metal (paint) is the way to go, I wanted to see if there was any alternatives.

oldyellr

Threads
There are various paints that can be applied directly over rusted steel so long as you remove any loose stuff. They soak into the rust and keep out oxygen and moisture, thus preventing further rusting. THe durability of these paints varies, but the very best I've found is POR-15. It's pricey, but worth every penny. You don't need to buy all the prep stuff, just remove loose rust and degrease. It even cures faster in humid conditions. If you don't buy the thinner, be sure to wear rubber gloves because nothing will remove it once it starts to dry, only time.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Grind or sand all of the surface rust off then treat with phosphoric acid, let sit for 24 hours then repaint with the most durable paint you know of. I like rustoleum. It's a very good paint and easily accessible. If you do this I think the deck will outlast the engine.
The paint i am refering to is applied with a brush not a spray can.

Threads
Thanks oldyellr, I looked up that paint and boy it must be really good at $40 for a pint!
I guess if I was working on a classic car, then I would spring for it but I think I will try something a little bit cheaper for a Lawn mower. I am sure it won't last as long but as long as it protects it for a while and keeps the rust at bay between coats.

Robert Brown I wanted to ask you about phosphoric acid. Sounds corrosive!? Is it to clean and prep the surface so that paint or primer adheres better?

oldyellr

Threads
Thanks oldyellr, I looked up that paint and boy it must be really good at $40 for a pint!
I wasn't kidding when I said expensive! In fact, a pint cost me $58.76 CAD including shipping by the time I got it. Also, the can was a bi?h open with a screwdriver, turning the rim inside-out, so consequently wouldn't seal properly. However, I got my money's worth out of it by painting the rusty steel lines on a power steering rack I got for $100 from a junk yard instead of spending many times that for a rebuilt and I permanently sealed a rusted-through spot in the door of my old Volvo. Perhaps POR-15 would be overkill for the underside of a mower deck, but I bet it would hold up a lot longer than Tremclad or Rustoleum.

Threads
You know what? I'll bet your right about that, but heck is that alot to spend on a lawn mower! If you already have some left over from a car project, then great but otherwise or until I check my driver's licence and the name on it says Rockefeller, Buffett, Gates or Trump I think I will go with the everday rust paint.