Kohler 17 Command Issues

DunnDidIt

Threads
Kohler 13 Command Issues

hello my proline 36 has the kohler 13 command. sometimes its a pain to start sometimes it fires on first pull. I have to use the fuel shut off to kill the motor instead of the throttle cable because the mower takes forever to start if i use the throttle to shut down. Sometimes though the mower is hard to start regardless. Being that the carburetors for this mower are so cheap do yall think buying a new carb would solve the problem or could there be more deep seated issues? thank in advance. oh and also when i engage the pto lever i have to keep a strap on the lever or it works itself out and turn the pto off. Anyone know what could be causing this problem? Still a hell of a mower and my dad didn't need it for his business anymore so he gave to me to use for mine. And i dont want to see the mower go and i really really really dont wanna have to get a loan for a new walk behind.

Last edited:

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check to see if it has a kill switch on or by the carb, sometimes on engines they fit a microswitch and they go bad (sometimes they work and sometimes not) if it has one clean it and give some wd40 and if that doesn't work replace it.

DunnDidIt

Threads
Are u talking about the anti backfire on the carb bowl? The fuel shut off or an actual engine shut off switch that needs replaced?

DunnDidIt

Threads
It's actually a 13 I believe. I'll double check when I get to the shed

DunnDidIt

Threads
Took a look. There is no kill switch. It is a third hand mower. But u can kill it by turning throttle down all the way or shutting off with fuel shut off. If u use the throttle it's really hard to start back up again. And if u use the fuel shut off sometimes it's easy to start other times it's hard just like using the throttle. I'm thinking about just buying a carb and seeing how that goes. IDK why else it would be hard to start. The valves are good

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Got to be an old one if there is no kill switch, is it Kohler 17 or 13

DunnDidIt

Threads
There's also one of those electric units on the bottom of the bowl on the carb. I think it's the anti backfire deal? If I got a carb that didn't have one it would still work correct?