Man I cant figure this Craftsman out!

Kangel55

Threads
Bummer
Looked like it was going to be easy.

Lol...that's the way it always is with me, nothing ez. If I need a new wire harness I will never find one, 20yr old mower in good condition, used it lastyear.

Last edited:

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
No need for a new wire harness, find the wire that's giving you the problem and rewire that one.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No need for a new wire harness, find the wire that's giving you the problem and rewire that one.

DON'T PANIC

If you have power at the A2 terminal on the orange wire, get a length of green wire ( keep it simple, keep colours the same ) then work out which wire goes to the relay and which wire goes to the orange wire.
Get a trailer wire splice cut the bad wire off leaving enough wire to make a join that will not foul on anything then run your new green wire to the orange wire & splice it in, don't cut it off cause that might create problems elsewhere.

Kangel55

Threads
I had went up and bought a multimeter so I would have one and went ahead and checked all the switches I bought for this more and all test good, however, the PTO switch new one has 8 prongs and the old one (which tested bad) has 7. In the female plug it has room for 8 but its just an empty hole in 8th slot. I double checked numbers and this 8 prong switch is the replacement number. Will this matter ya think?

Here is picture: https://www.jthomasparts.com/430-79...MIusWNqrXY2wIVEbnACh3q5Q8SEAQYBSABEgJvMvD_BwE

The 7 prong one only has 1 row with 3 terminals.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Has long has you are using the same socket it shouldn't matter, one of the row of three will have NC-NO (not closed or not open)

Kangel55

Threads
Wheww man this problem. Went out and bought a meter so I could test better. First I pulled all switches and checked them, all good. Started mower up (runs good) checked both green wires leading to seat switch both sides have 12 volts on them. Is that right? Plugged back up. Checked back of ignition plug where green wire goes in read 12V, checked back of relay with green, 12V. I know the clutch switch is working because I turn switch around I can start engine with brake off. Just out of being curious pulled out PTO and it died just like the brake issue. Also while in that state with no brake, seen if mower would move, it did. I'm just stumped with this thing. I also rechecked the ignition switch wires 2nd time and pulling and pushing them in and out gingerly I'm back sliding that not to be the problem. The wire harness looks good the wires dont seem brittle, its always been garaged. I hate losing, been that way my whole life...lol, but this dam thing is winning. I hate to call somebody to fix it.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'll go back to my old post and ask again, have you check the operator presence relay....! when the seat is occupied....there should be NO continuity from post 87a to 30/86 on that relay.

Kangel55

Threads
I'll go back to my old post and ask again, have you check the operator presence relay....! when the seat is occupied....there should be NO continuity from post 87a to 30/86 on that relay.

When out and tested this, motor running seat occupied, the meter toned on all those mentioned.

Kangel55

Threads
I checked that from back of plug.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you have continuity on these post then the relay is not working.