Chraftsman drive belt slipping

handirifle

Threads
I just acquired a craftsman lawn tractor, with 15HP B&S engine, 42" cut and hydro drive tranny. Just today, when engaging the drive, it would start to slip, a lot. Looking at the linkage it seems that it only moves a lever in the transaxle. I am hoping this is a drive belt slipping and not a set of clutches in the transaxle. I do not have a model number, but this thing looks to be late 80's or 90's model. I do not have any manuals on this unit either, so i couldn't trace down the belts very well.

Looking under it, it did seem to have a separate drive belt, and deck belt, is this correct?

I also need to replace the starter, and the left front tire, but those can wait a little longer.

Any help appreciated.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
the hydro automatic is all hydraulic...no clutches....how do you know the belt is slipping when you go foward?.....a common problem with the hydros is sticking brakes hold the mower back.........2 belts...you have a tranny belt and a mower blade belt....give us the numbers off the valve cover with spaces and everything....that should be a start...also many craftsmans have a belt diagram under the left foot rest..:smile:

handirifle

Threads
Ok thanks for the info. I will look for the number when i get outside. When i try to engage the drive either forward or reverse, there is a loud, obvious belt squeal and it does not move, though you can fell like something is trying to. From what you describe it might be the tranny belt, is there a mmanual adjustment for this or is it self adjusting?

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
its preloaded when you release the clutch pedal..........you can drop the deck all the way and have someone sit on it and pump the clutch pedal while you lie on your side and look up underneath to see how it works.........also the slightest wear on these belts will render them useless..look for burn spots and glazing..

wildbill

Threads
I had a customer's 42" Craftsman drive slipping a couple weeks ago. (And Reddragon is right, the belt may look good but it will wear on the sides of the "V" and that allows the belt to ride too deep in the drive and driven pulleys.) The belt looked fine, but when I compared it to a new belt it was obvious that the years had worn it down. Another thing to check is the freedom of the linkage where the tension spring is attached. A couple months back I had one where the linkage was partially blocked from putting full tension on the belt by some sticks. :thumbsup:

handirifle

Threads
OK thanks. Tomorrow I will get the mod number and check out the linkage to make sure it's clear and free moving. Then maybe order a new belt. It needs a new starter and left front tire, so might as well get them all at once.

wildbill

Threads
If you are buying parts for a Craftsman mower, know that Searspartsdirect will sell them to you........ at a high profit. Check out partstree.com and jackssmallengines.com. One of them will have what you need. Their prices are always close. And, when you compare them to Craftsman parts they will be at least 25% cheaper.:thumbsup:

handirifle

Threads
Thanks for the links. I am going to call a local shop first and see how close they are after checking the online guys. Sometimes, factoring in the shipping, they are pretty close and I will just give them the business.

handirifle

Threads
Ha what a dufuss, just noticed I spelled Craftsman wrong in the title....duh

Anyway, I ordered the parts, got the starter from Ebay, new, for $22 and change, and the rebuilt one on Searsdirect was $71, and jackasssmallengine was over $49. Score....

Ordered the belt off Amazon. Got a new one for $13 there, plus 7 for shipping, and sears wanted $28.99, plus shipping. Savings not as big there, but still pretty good. Hopefully all the parts are good stuff. Everything is new, so we'll see.