Weird meter reading

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks Bert. I'll check that out.

Here's the meter reading I get from the battery posts and the wires from from the alternator.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24HuUJiUbwE

Also, I put a test light on the two wires from from the Alt., and it lights up on both wires. One side lights up much brighter than the other.

UPDATE: Bert, I did the test like you said, and didn't get continuity from either way, when touching just the pin and the connection. But, with the pin through the red wire, about an inch back from the diode, I did get continuity when I touched the other lead. Even when I switched them.

BTW, I get juice to the negative side of the battery, ONLY when the engine is running.

With that said, it can only be the stater or diode, right?

No continuity between the pin and the plug in either direction says the diode is open circuit.
This should mean you get no juice back to the battery at all..
In any case, the diode is stuffed.
You can solder in a new one or replace the whole stator.
Soldering is a messy job because Briggs soldered it to the pin in the plug.
So you need GM pin tool to remove the red wire from the plug then desolder the diode at both ends and solder in a new one then refit the pin into the plug.
Works about 25% of the time.
Usually I end up cutting off both plugs and fitting new T shaped 2 pin spade plugs with the diode soldered in a fair way back up the wire.

In all honesty a new stator complete with a real full wave rectifier is a much better way to go even if it is a lot more expensive.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Take off one lead from the diode and check again for continuity one way only.

Thank you, everyone. I didn't want to replace the stator, unless I just had to. I don't like replacing good parts. BTW, Bert, what came to mind when you seen the way the meter was acting.

It even did the same thing, when I grounded the meter to the engine, then touched the negative side of the battery.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I never looked at it, there is no point .
When you know what the system is , how it should work and how to test it, faaffing around with the unknown or unnecessary just confuses things.
PArticularly with high speed , ranging multimeters that will skip around from AC to DC to micro volts to volts faster than you can read the screen.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I never looked at it, there is no point .
When you know what the system is , how it should work and how to test it, faaffing around with the unknown or unnecessary just confuses things.
PArticularly with high speed , ranging multimeters that will skip around from AC to DC to micro volts to volts faster than you can read the screen.

The video is maybe 30 seconds long. Well worth the watch.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hey,
I do this stuff every day for a living.
I know what a bad diode looks like when you put a meter on a running alternator.
It is your engine so you might find it facinating.
The meter would have been swinging from + 14 V to - 14 V or there abouts, every time a magnet passes a coil .
There are 36 magnets ( from memory) on the flywheel and 24 coils on the stator wired in pairs to give you 12 sets.
So you are going to get 18 x 12 x 3,600 pulses per minute down the wire.
The meter can not read that fast to do that you need an ossilliscope so it throws up random numbers.
Cheaper DVM's might even add the pulses together so you might get 28 V or higher readings.

AS mentioned previously, waste of time looking at it as it tells you absolutely nothing apart from the fact that the diode is bad, and then you still have to confirm that with a continuity test.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I replace the stator, and getting the same reading off the battery. Still getting juice to the negative side of the battery. Still getting everything I mentioned.
Even after replacing the stator and solenoid, cleaning the connections. Chasing wires, replacing the ground wire. Adding a ground to the new 4 prong solenoid.

But it runs great. Only thing is, after running it for a little while, if you kill it, it won't start up for about 10 minutes. (No fuel solenoid)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So it looks like you are still getting an AC feed to the battery.
First pull the stator plug and measure the voltage between each pin to ground.
Do it in both DC and AC mode
The red wire should read + 12 to 15 V DC
The black wire should read 12 to 20 V AC.
The black wire only powers the lights but it looks like it might be feeding back into the charging system.
Check the battery also in DC & AC modes.
If you can do it , confirm that the black wire is back feeding by removing the pin from the plug or cutting the wire.

Is this your mower, have you owed it since new.
I ask this because a shaved monkey that learned how to work a video camera posted on U tube that you can join the two alternator wires together and "free extra electricity".
And because every one always wants something for nothing way too many did just that.
Has the ignition switch been changed ?
They are different for AC lighting where the switch makes a ground connection than for DC lighting where the switch connects the lights to the battery or DC feed from the alternator.