33R877-0003-G1 cracked block

kdrenshaw

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm wondering if anyone here knows if there is a NON Briggs engine that will replace 33R877-0003-G1. I've just cracked the second engine block on this model. this is obviously a JUNK engine and I'm losing faith in the Briggs product line. I really don't want to put on another Briggs engine unless it is the only option that i have available. does anyone on here know why the engine blocks keep cracking? is there a way to stop it from happening?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Photos ?
Cracked where ?
never had one come into my shop.
Something wrong with your equipment ?
What is it fitted on ?
How many hours ?

And yes any engine with the same shaft diameter and length can be fitted to whatever it is that continually cracks the briggs engines.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I also have never had one in the shop either.
Cracking in the same place?
How long did each one have in running time?
I’d say two engines, same problem, something else is going on?
Who installed second engine, new engine or short block?

kdrenshaw

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks for the replies.

first engine had around 150 hrs on it
second had about 50 hrs

it's on a craftsman yt3000 riding mower

no issues with the mower that i know of.

it did crack in the same place. right behind the throttle assy.

first engine has a large hole, about the size of a nickle (2-3cm)
second engine has a hair line crack and i can see oil shooting out of when the engine runs.

left and center pictures are from the original engine. large hole.
right picture is of the current engine. small hairline crack.

not an easy picture to take since it is behind the throttle assy.

also, i installed the second engine.

Attachments

• 20180610_155010.jpg
    20180610_155010.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20180610_155027.jpg
    20180610_155027.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20180610_155227.jpg
    20180610_155227.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 17

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Be interesting to see the inside of that engine to see what could be coming apart inside. I suspect something to do with the counterbalance system, but what is causing the failure that would push the counterweight system through the block. Everything else inside the engine, if it broke would shut the engine down permanently.

What does the area that you mow look like. Got hills, and you are side sloping, mowing up and down, or is it just flat ground.

kdrenshaw

Forum Newbie
Threads
Be interesting to see the inside of that engine to see what could be coming apart inside. I suspect something to do with the counterbalance system, but what is causing the failure that would push the counterweight system through the block. Everything else inside the engine, if it broke would shut the engine down permanently.

What does the area that you mow look like. Got hills, and you are side sloping, mowing up and down, or is it just flat ground.

My yard has a gentle slope and i mow in a square pattern and across the slope switching from one to the other every other week. i don't do up and down the slope.

the first engine with the hole in the block, shut down immediately when the hole was formed.

the current engine with the crack, still runs. it is hard to start, but runs super fast engine speeds and shoot out oil. I've stopped running it as of this moment in time.

i too am curious as to what the inside looks like. just not sure how to remove the broken area. if it's easy, i'll pull it apart and take better pictures.

Threads
If it's running too fast you have solved your issue.... RPM's were too high and you got some stress cracks....... Something will turn loose soon if you can't get the RPM's set right...

Could be the governor not set right ETC ETC...............

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

kdrenshaw

Forum Newbie
Threads
If it's running too fast you have solved your issue.... RPM's were too high and you got some stress cracks....... Something will turn loose soon if you can't get the RPM's set right...

Could be the governor not set right ETC ETC...............

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

It started running super fast after the crack formed. everything was running well before. this is the second engine this happened to. first one was original with the tractor. second one was purchased and installed by me. worked well for about 1.5 seasons.

Threads
Look on that throttle assembly and see if that fatter spring is hooked up on both sides........

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I don’t know what you call a gentle slope or how large an area this slope is, but that may be your problem. By mowing constantly at the same angle may be causing oil starvation on internal parts. You say you mow across the slope one week in one direction and switch to go the other direction the next week. If your slope is over 15 degrees, you are asking for some serious problems, because your lubrication system is not designed to work for long periods at those angles.