HRX first oil change. Lots of metal.....

rkfast

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did my first oil change after about 5-6 hours of use. Oil had a ton of metal from the break-in in it. Assuming this is normal. At least I hope so. Thoughts? Anyone else get this?

Ava.Feret

Threads
That is not normal. Did you use a magnet to see if it actually is metal. Then again you have a aluminum engine.
I would contact Honda.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can't see it being normal in breaking in, more like breaking up....like the above post...phone Honda.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And as much as I don't like to "me too" others post, this is the third, TAKE IT BACK TO HONDA" so it must be good advice.

If you have done so already complete the warranty card & send it back.
Honda is just about the only mower maker that takes warranty seriously.

rkfast

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK, gents...spoke to Honda cust service.

Completely normal and expected for first oil change. I told the Honda rep the oil almost looked like metallic paint and he repeated...normal and expected.

Quite the relief. That said, Im going to shorten the next interval for the next change by half. Its $5 for a bottle of oil and takes fifteen minutes. Totally worth it.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well I never, something new everyday...good one.:thumbsup:

cruzenmike

Threads
I am glad you got confirmation from Honda. I remember my first oil change and I experienced the same. I also had an HS720 snow blower that the oil looked the same treatment first time I changed it as well. I cannot remember the second oil change in either but by the fourth or fifth the oil looked like new every time I changed it.

slow_runner

Threads
OK, gents...spoke to Honda cust service.
Completely normal and expected for first oil change. I told the Honda rep the oil almost looked like metallic paint and he repeated...normal and expected.
Quite the relief. That said, Im going to shorten the next interval for the next change by half. Its $5 for a bottle of oil and takes fifteen minutes. Totally worth it.

I would email my concerns to Honda and ask for confirmation of their advice (above ) in writing.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would email my concerns to Honda and ask for their advice (above ) in writing.

Double ditto and make sure you keep written records .
You can & do get excess metal in the first oil change it is all a question of quantity.
If you have not thrown it out, keep the oil, label it and put it on a back shelf .
If the engine dose kark it latter on, then you have the "evidence" .
Check the second oil change carefully as well for metallic particles.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Triple Ditto. Doesn't sound right ?