Briggs & Stratton - Starts - Runs - Stops

svlawnmower

Threads
Hello:

Previous owner couldn't get this to run after it was given to them by their in-laws. I noticed it had stale fuel. I cleaned the carburetor and replaced gaskets, cleaned the fuel tank, replaced the plug, cleaned the flywheel and reset the ignition coil and it started right up. Itwould run but the sprayer wasn't any good. Put it in storage... this was late last summer.

This year, the problem:
I set it to "idle" and put it on choke and it fires and stops after 1-2 pulls. So I set the choke to 1/2 way between "choke" and "run" and starts and sputters. I move it to run and move throttle to fast, it speeds up like it is going to keep running, then after a few seconds stops. This cycle keeps repeating.

Speculating, it is as if it just burns up the fuel from performing the steps above and cannot draw more fuel and dies. I can smell fuel but I don't see fuel leaking anywhere around the carburetor but just a little around the gas cap (maybe not sealing tight anymore).

Spark plug is dry when checking.
I don't see white or black smoke
I set the throttle screw to 1 1/2 turns and the fuel mixture needle 1 1/2 turns.
Completely disassembled and cleaned the carburetor and fuel tank ... again.

Not sure what else to try.

Briggs and Stratton I/C Gold
Model: 133212
Type: 0159 01
Code: 95080207

Sears Power washer:
Model: 580 751500
S/N: 1659501
PSI: 1800
GPM: 2.5

IC Gold - Sears Powerwasher.jpgLeft Side.jpgRight Side.jpg

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
You need to make sure you have fuel from the gas tank to the carb, if you have then recheck the carb (clean it again if need be) also make sure that the gasket from the carb to engine is a good seal.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
OH !! another pressure washer ! seems like you did all the right preliminary steps, are you holding the trigger "OPEN" on the gun ( with the water turned on) when trying to start it ?? if not.. try that, if no success that way, problem may be with the pump, it looks like a "flange-mount" ( 4 bolts / nuts ) try removing the pump from the engine and see what happens, be sure to take pics of everything you work on they become your re-assembly manual ... post back your results.

svlawnmower

Threads
OH !! another pressure washer ! seems like you did all the right preliminary steps, are you holding the trigger "OPEN" on the gun ( with the water turned on) when trying to start it ?? if not.. try that, if no success that way, problem may be with the pump, it looks like a "flange-mount" ( 4 bolts / nuts ) try removing the pump from the engine and see what happens, be sure to take pics of everything you work on they become your re-assembly manual ... post back your results.

Interesting thought... ironically, that may be part of the problem. I didn't have the gun hooked up at first, I just let water running through the pump and when I first tried it started right up. Then I put the sprayer on the end of the hose and it wouldn't start back up. I ended up with the problem that I posted.

I will try this again without the spray gun attached or with the handle open it . However, my pull cord broke so I'll have to repost and let you all know.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When you cleaned the carb, did you install a new float needle and seat, plus set the float level properly. Sounds to me like your float level is set too low, causing an extremely lean mixture.

Threads
SV you need to take the carb off the tank and give it another cleaning..... You don;t have a bowl on yours, but you have a pump diaphram under that small cover on the side of the carb....... That could be bad...... Also the jet where the adjustment screw is might be clogged......

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

svlawnmower

Threads
SV you need to take the carb off the tank and give it another cleaning..... You don;t have a bowl on yours, but you have a pump diaphram under that small cover on the side of the carb....... That could be bad...... Also the jet where the adjustment screw is might be clogged......

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

The diaphram is a good call out. I will see about replacing. I did question it. It may take a few days to update the post since I will have to order.

Threads
SV you mentioned an adjustment screw for the mixture... Then you talked about another screw..... One of them is a idle screw that only controls the idle part... That would be the screw on the top part of the carb where the throttle plate has the metal stop tab to keep it at a constant speed on idle..........

The other screw towards the bottom for the air mix needs to come out and there is a jet inside with a slotted screw jet in there..... Take that out with a good flat bit like a gunsmith screwdriver is made and clean that hole in the middle very well....

Hope this info helps you out and let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

svlawnmower

Threads
SV you mentioned an adjustment screw for the mixture... Then you talked about another screw..... One of them is a idle screw that only controls the idle part... That would be the screw on the top part of the carb where the throttle plate has the metal stop tab to keep it at a constant speed on idle..........

The other screw towards the bottom for the air mix needs to come out and there is a jet inside with a slotted screw jet in there..... Take that out with a good flat bit like a gunsmith screwdriver is made and clean that hole in the middle very well....

Hope this info helps you out and let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Everyone's comments help :). I called it the 'throttle' screw, but you are correct, the idle screw. I started with base settings on both. I have cleaned the fuel mixture needle screw and jet pretty well, at least 3 times. When I spray cleaning fluid through it, fluid comes out the other end without issue. I'm curious about replacing the diaphram you mentioned because I don't think it is pulling fuel into the carburetor well enough and there is a "nick" along the outer end of the diaphram, so maybe it is causing just enough of an issue. However, I need to replace the my pull cord because it broke during correspondence here and I need to purchase a replacement diaphram - it wouldn't hurt to replace.

Thanks -- I will let everyone know here.