Briggs Engine Lawn Tractor smoking and running slow

kyleh13

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Briggs Engine Lawn Tractor smoking and running slow
Hello,

To start this off I will admit to not being mechanically inclined, however trying to save myself some money. I recently installed a new cylinder on my ys4500 21hp briggs and stratton engine. Once completed it fired right up the engine seems to be running a little rough and smoke coming out of the exhaust constantly.

A side issue is that I have always felt the tractor runs on the slower side. Its a hydrostatic transmission and bought the machine off craigslist two years in the past. For comparison my 16hp 6 speed craftsman could run circles around this one. Any suggestions on either issue? Any help is appreciated.

Threads
You changed the cylinder ???? Or did you change the Cylinder Head ?? The cylinder Block is what hold everything in place, Piston, crankshaft, cam, governor ETC ETC.....

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

kyleh13

Forum Newbie
Threads
You changed the cylinder ???? Or did you change the Cylinder Head ?? The cylinder Block is what hold everything in place, Piston, crankshaft, cam, governor ETC ETC.....

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Sorry I changed the cylinder head

Threads
Ok I thought so...... Did you adjust the valves to 4 or 5 thousands ?? Your engine shouldn't be smoking that much....

Yes it will smoke a lil bit once you do that kind of repair and clear up in a few minutes..... Too much oil will cause your issue.....

Did you use a torque wrench to do the bolts on the head ???

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

kyleh13

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok I thought so...... Did you adjust the valves to 4 or 5 thousands ?? Your engine shouldn't be smoking that much....

Yes it will smoke a lil bit once you do that kind of repair and clear up in a few minutes..... Too much oil will cause your issue.....

Did you use a torque wrench to do the bolts on the head ???

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~![/QUOI

I adjusted the valves yes. However, did not have a torque wrench. If this is the cause I can go get one from Harbor Freight. Would this cause the engine to smoke and not sound like its running properly

Threads
No a torque wrench is not really needed. but I wasn't there when you put it on so I have no idea how tight you put them....

Unless you blew the gasket again ??