I am glad my troubles are not in the range of some...Tiger Cub loses power and quits.

land_owner

Threads
  • / I am glad my troubles are not in the range of some...Tiger Cub loses power and quits.
When I purchased my used STC48V-26BS ( http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/39567-Help-w-used-Tiger-Cat-evaluation ) I had hoping for a long(er) run without issues. Reading through this Forum of all Scag issues, I am happy that my mower's trouble is not as complicated (and expensive) as are some.

Currently, the mower loses power, gradually over three or four minutes, with loss of velocity, loss of engine rpm's, and the end result is engine shut down for no apparent reason. If I turn off the PTO, rpms return to normal, but only for the time the PTO is off. With PTO ON, rpms die off over a few minutes and the engine shuts down.

Three weeks ago with the same symptoms, I took down the carburetor, cleaned the bowl and jets, changed the fuel filters, and added "Fuel Medic" to eliminate any water in the ethanol-laden fuel tank. I have not depleted that tank as yet. Everything seemed fine for the next two uses.

It has been raining, but the Fuel Medic should still be "working". There has been no added ethanol based fuel. The filters look free of debris.

Tomorrow I am going to revisit the carburetor, take it down, clean it again, see if there is any debris in there, and try again. Anybody have a suggestion other than the carb?

mcdonell

Threads
  • / I am glad my troubles are not in the range of some...Tiger Cub loses power and quits.
Sounds like you have already determined it is a fuel issue. I have a 26 hp briggs that doesn't like to start when cold and would sometimes slow down and die under load. I cleaned the carb and fuel lines and added some fuel system treatment but the problem persisted. Sound familiar?

I replaced the fuel pump and it helped but still ran too lean. I bought a 1/4" in-line hand pump and installed it near the gas filter. When the motor is cold, I can usually squeeze the bulb 2 or 3 times before no more fuel can be pumped. Motor starts much easier and motor runs much better. Sometimes I may have to squeeze the bulb a second time if cutting tall grass when motor is still not up to temp.

The pump I installed cost $6.. Worth every cent. I may put one on my 50 hp tractor.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=1+4+primer+bulb&ul_noapp=true

dfbroxy

Threads
I would suggest changing the fuel filter and fuel lines. And oh yea, check the fuel cap the next time it starts to loose power by removing it. If engine picks back up and runs normal then replace it. I am curious to how you determined its a fuel problem? This might also be a governor problem. Maybe a missing or broke spring. Maybe the governor broke on the inside of the engine? I only ask because if we are chasing the wrong solution, then the engine might sustane serious damage in the mean time.

Threads
Land owner...... if you suspect water in the fuel then yes drain it and dry the tank or tanks well.... I have never heard of the fuel treatment you talked about.....

The only known treatment for stablization and water is K-100 ...... It encapsulates water and then it makes it burn.....

When you drop the carb put a clean bowl under it and check for water...... If you see a few droplets in there you solved your issue.... I don't know what carb you have on there so I can;t help much on that issue..... Let us know on that one..... Mon Ami ~!~!

Proxy if he has a broken governor or a broken spring then he would have a racing engine out of control or hardly nothing at all.... He has cut too much grass for that issue....