Advice on mower purchase versus repair

Guitarnut

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an older Craftsman dls3500 20 hp 42in deck. A few months ago I had to replace the deck for $500 (only paid $350 for the used mower 2 years ago). Now, I have a blown engine which will be $800 to replace. Should I cut my losses and buy a new mower for $1100 (sorry budget is an issue) or pay for a new motor in my dls3500? The 1100 mowers seem to only have about 15hp.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No brainer, buy new. That mower is going to nickel and dime you to death.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
What kind of shape is the rest of the mower in ..?? ya got a fairly new $500.00 deck, what about battery, tires, body/fender assy..?? you might try looking on Craigslist / Offer-UP or a local mower-shop for a used engine, I just bought a low hours 24HP Briggs for $225.00 a few months ago, if you're willing to do the work you can save yourself some money, a NEW machine at AROUND $1500.00 ( Home Depot - Lowes ) will last quite awhile with dedicated maintenance.. IF your willing to do that Post some pics lets see what you've got to work with, ...... and for the cost of that deck, you could have picked up fairly good used mower.

Guitarnut

Forum Newbie
Threads
It is in reasonable shape. With a new deck (full meaning pullies belts blades) a new battery the only thing left is the tranny. I'm in South East Georgia so I won't find anything on Craigslist nor am I capable of doing work on it. Is the 1100 mower a slow crappy mower at that price meaning an engine is a better idea. 20hp as opposed to around 15.

Lawn Addict
Threads
If that DLS has the 6 speed DANA Transaxle. Best to buy new. That transaxle will be the next thing to start leaking at the wheels. Mine did.

dfbroxy

Threads
When you say it has a blown engine, how is it blown? What is it doing? Cracked block? What part of Ga do you live in? Im in Waynesboro, Ga. If you are close enough and could get it here I could repair it for you. It could be a simple fix, No charge for labor just parts only.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
For your budget you will be buying a throw away mower so in 3 to 5 years you will be back in the same situation.
That was a real good offer dfbroxy made and if you are willing the list has walked more than one "mechanically challenged person" through a full rebuild .
Most is common sense & patience.

Some of the surplus sites ( Small Engine warehouse, Small Engine suppliers & surplus Center regularly have very cheap engines , most will full warranty.
The mower will not go any faster no matter what size engine you fit, they all turn at the same speed ~ 3500 rpm.
Since your mower was made the naming has changed so a modern engine that is 1 to 2 Hp less than your engine will have the same Hp.

Guitarnut

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for all the advice. I'd like to especially thank dfbroxy for the offer but I wouldn't feel right about using your time and effort for free. I am in Statesboro. I looked at new Craftsman mowers and mine is a huskavarna that was made for Craftsman. Now the same mower is a huskavarna and $1600, $1499 on sale. The $1100 mowers were pretty dinky so I ordered the new engine. Let's hope the tranny doesn't die next.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for all the advice. I'd like to especially thank dfbroxy for the offer but I wouldn't feel right about using your time and effort for free. I am in Statesboro. I looked at new Craftsman mowers and mine is a huskavarna that was made for Craftsman. Now the same mower is a huskavarna and $1600, $1499 on sale. The $1100 mowers were pretty dinky so I ordered the new engine. Let's hope the tranny doesn't die next.

Other way round.
Husqvarna made the Craftsman at the AYP factory that they bought a long while ago.
Basically everything that comes out of the factory is the same, made with the same presses & same dies.
What is different is the type & number of fasteners, the use or not of some sort of bushings where a shaft passes through a support and the thickness & grade of the steel.
The cheaper they get, the cheaper they are made.
So the Poulan that looks identical to the Husky is not actually the same.
And every year they all get cheaper and nastier.

Guitarnut

Forum Newbie
Threads
Other way round.
Husqvarna made the Craftsman at the AYP factory that they bought a long while ago.
Basically everything that comes out of the factory is the same, made with the same presses & same dies.
What is different is the type & number of fasteners, the use or not of some sort of bushings where a shaft passes through a support and the thickness & grade of the steel.
The cheaper they get, the cheaper they are made.
So the Poulan that looks identical to the Husky is not actually the same.
And every year they all get cheaper and nastier.

Based on that, fixing my old mower is the way to go. If it is like everything else then the older ones are better built. That is why I drive a 2001 F-250 7.3 instead of the newer ones.