2 cycle mower

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am seeing on this forum that some high quality mowers are two cycle. The only thing I can remember about two cycle mowers was back in the 50's it was a cheap noisy smokey mower. How are these newer 2 cycle mowers. It seems like they would be a under powered, gas hog, and you would smell like a oil can when you are done using them?? Would there be any advantages over a 4 cycle mower? I don't know seeing I have never seen or used one?

noma

Threads
Hi reynoldston

Are you thinking two cycle or two stroke
I have never owned a two stroke either other then weed trimmer and chain saw and tiller and don't know a lot about the mowers. But all the other two stroke thing work good. But i know lawn-boy has been in the business of manufacturing two stroke mower for 50 plus years so there must be some good one out there that work just fine. And i think there are other company that have them to and have made them for years. So my thought are those two stroke must do ok:licking:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
You call it two stroke I call it two cycle same thing. I guess it's always the way I heard it called. You live in Minnesota and I live in NY you know how that goes, different word same meaning.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
A subject dear to my heart... :cool2:

There are many advantages to a two-stroke small engine design:

-- Better power-to-weight ratio (so the mower can be lighter)

-- More even and consistent distribution of lubricant in the engine, particularly when operating on a slope. A four-stroke can "starve" for oil if tilted. I think this is why some two-stroke engines last for decades.

-- No need to change oil

-- Fewer moving parts -- these engines are very simple and fun to work on. :wink:

I don't think any company is currently making two-stroke mowers for sale in the USA -- EPA regulations have effectively outlawed them. But if properly tuned up, they don't smoke a lot.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
A subject dear to my heart... :cool2:

There are many advantages to a two-stroke small engine design:

-- Better power-to-weight ratio (so the mower can be lighter)

-- More even and consistent distribution of lubricant in the engine, particularly when operating on a slope. A four-stroke can "starve" for oil if tilted. I think this is why some two-stroke engines last for decades.

-- No need to change oil

-- Fewer moving parts -- these engines are very simple and fun to work on. :wink:

I don't think any company is currently making two-stroke mowers for sale in the USA -- EPA regulations have effectively outlawed them. But if properly tuned up, they don't smoke a lot.

I agree with all of what you said. Any time I followed a two-stroke ATV, motorcycle or snowmobile it just seem you smell like a oil can afterwords and is that case with a lawn mower?

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree with all of what you said. Any time I followed a two-stroke ATV, motorcycle or snowmobile it just seem you smell like a oil can afterwords and is that case with a lawn mower?

About the smell: the newer formulas of two-cycle oil burn much more completely than the oils of 30 years ago. When I cold-start one of my mowers I might smell something until it warms up but not after that.

I might add that the bit about lubrication while operating on a slope is probably the most common reason to chose a two-stroke.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
About the smell: the newer formulas of two-cycle oil burn much more completely than the oils of 30 years ago. When I cold-start one of my mowers I might smell something until it warms up but not after that.

I might add that the bit about lubrication while operating on a slope is probably the most common reason to chose a two-stroke.

Boy you must mow some steep spots to mow. The two-stroke shoud be able to run up side down with the right carburator and fuel tank.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Boy you must mow some steep spots to mow. The two-stroke shoud be able to run up side down with the right carburator and fuel tank.

I do have lots of steep sections at my place in Cleburne County and I can be confident that there's no lubrication problem. The mowers aren't like chainsaws, however -- the tanks are gravity-feed and the carbs are float-type.

The extra power of two-stroke engines comes in handy too. My Suzuki-powered Toro is the most powerful push mower I've ever encountered. Tall, wet grass is no problem. :thumbsup:

toro-1.jpg